Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dust in the Wind



Yeah, sorry for getting Kansas stuck in your head when you read the title, but it did seem very fitting with today's subject matter.

We all knew it would just be a matter of time, but DC will be canceling a few of their new titles from the reboot after 8 issues. But do not fret my dear geeks, they will be doing replacements that sound, for the most part, pretty good so it will remain the new 52 universe.

Lets start with the titles that will be blowing off into oblivion and soon to be forgotten.

Hawk and Dove. Of the book meeting their demise, this is the only one that I had bought any copies. The people that I know that were reading this, it was just doing enough to kind of keep them interested enough. I was only in one issue but I deemed it forgettable enough to not care enough to keep up in a second issue.

Men Of War. This one I am kind of surprised and not at the same time. The historic value of this one alone, being that it comes from the Sgt. Rock series that was around forever, I thought would have been enough to keep this title around. Unfortunately this had a few things working against it. Gritty war stories are really not too popular anymore. Perhaps they make people think about real life too much and people read comics for an escape.. The other strike this had against it was the dreaded $3.99 price point. While it may work for Justice League or Action Comics, those are staples that people feel they need in their collections. Men of war would not make that criteria.

Mister Terrific. I honestly have not personally met anyone that reads this book. I had no
interest to start it so it seems that mot other people didn't either.

Blackhawks. You can copy and paste what I said about Mister Terrific.

Static Shock. This is another one with at least a "B" list character that a lot of people can identify. When I saw this title, I assumed a lot of people would buy.
I guess I was wrong. What I should have thought is who really cares?

O.M.A.C. This one really surprised me that it was getting the axe. I have read and heard a lot of very positive fans views on this book. I never picked it up because it tied too closely to the Frankenstein book and the acronyms were getting to be a bit much.

So taking their place will be......(Drum roll Please!)


Batman Incorporated.

Writer - Grant Morrison
Artist - Chris Burnaham
This is one of the titles that I was most disappointed that was cancelled with the incoming new 52. I am very happy that this one will be coming back. Unfortunately I will have to justify yet another Bat Book into my comic budget.

Earth 2.
Writer - James Robinson
Artist - Nicola Scott
I will be picking up the first issue of this just to see for sure. I think this book could go either way. It will be a Justice Society of America book. I was wondering how long DC could last without have a multitude of universes. I honestly don't know how I feel about that.

World's Finest.
Writer - Paul Levitz
Artist - George Perez and Kevin Maguire
This will be the Huntress and Power Girl stranded in a third universe and trying to get back to the Earth 2 universe. I will pick this up because I love Huntress and am very glad that she is getting her own book(kind of). However, I really hate the amount of universes that are already starting to convolute everything. Does DC really need an "Ultimates" line?

Dial H.
Writer - China Mieville
Artist - Mateus Santoluco
The Premise is that an average guy gets superpowers and his mental state when he gets them. Another one that could go either way.

G.I. Combat.
Writer - J.T. Krul
Artist - Ariel Olivetti
Pass


The Ravagers.
Writer - Howard Mackie
Artist - Ian Churchill
This is a spin off from Superboy and the Teen Titans. Don't we already have 2 teem Meta-Human books? Why do we need a third?

1 comment:

  1. Here is even more fodder the embed Kansas' Dust In The Wind in your head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcx2v_468o

    ReplyDelete