Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Comic Reviews for January 25, 2012




Pick of the week goes to Batman #5 Hands down. It was fantastic in every way. Speaking of Batman, Bane is coming back in the Dark Knight title. Stop making me buy Batman titles DC








DC COMICS

Teen Titans #5
Team
Writer - Scott Lobdell
Artist - Brett Booth
Colorist - Andrew Dalhouse

OVER BEFORE ITS BEGUN

I really like this book. I mean I REALLY like this book. But it does have a very odd flaw to it. When I read it, I am totally into it. I dig the team, the costumes are very cool, there is plenty always going on. Where the problem sits is I feel this way after reading every Teen Titan book, but it very quickly drops off my memory and I don't think about it again until next time a new issue comes out and I open it to the first page. I suppose you could call it it forgettable, but I don't know that it is that.

In this issue, we get the Teen Titans vs Superboy and of course Superboy lays waste to them all, however, during their fight, Red Robin and Solstice seem to get through to him and he realizes that N.O.W.H.E.R.E. is actually evil, so Superboy goes and destroys their base at the end of the book.

It was an Empire Strikes Back type ending. There is hope but everyone is pretty crushed. Next issue will probably be about the team picking themselves up, licking their wounds and trying to become more of a team instead of a bunch of individuals.


Grade
Story - A
Art - A



Green Lantern New Guardians #5
Team
Writer - Tony Bedard
Artist - Tyler Kirkham
Colorist - Nei Ruffino

THE ORRERY

This story is moving along very nicely and it keeps me excited for next issue like it always does.
This ties into the Red Lantern title, when Bleez goes back to Ysmault, it is the moment of issue 2 or 3 when Bleez gets thrown into the Blood Ocean. This was about as flawless of a crossover as you could do I think.

In the meantime, the rest of the New Guardians are deep in the Solar System that Larfleeze and Sayd said was the answer to everything that was going on. It turns out that all of the planets seem to be clone worlds I think. They also all are being protected by "the Archangel"who is later revealed to have the name of Invictus.

They all also have a huge hatred of Larleeze(but in their defense, who doesn't?)

All of the characters are really starting to grow on me, especially the orange construct/sentient being Glomulus. He is like a really funny child that needs ADD meds

The art felt a bit sloppy this issue, most noticeably on the Larfleeze panels

Grade
Story - A
Art - B


Batman #5
Team
Writer - Scott Snyder
Artist - Greg Gapullo
Colorist - FCO

FACE THE COURT

I know I have not been buying this title because of the amount of Batman books that I already buy, but I have heard so much about this book all this week that I had to check it out.

Wow.. I know enough of whats going on because of all of the buzz, but this was the most creative use of this medium that I have ever seen.

I will be going back to buy Issues 2 3 and 4

Seeing Bruce, obviously drugged, having to face himself, is the most dramatic thing I could imagine. Mark my words, this will eventually be a movie.

The way you have to flip the book around, you can get lost, just like he is.

I miss this version of Damian. I hope we get him back in the Batman and Robin title.

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A





IDW

Infestation 2 #1
Team
Writer - Duane Swierczynski
Artist - David Messina
Colorist - Scarlet Gothica


This is a mega event from IDW where the heroes from, Transformers, D&D, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joe and 30 Days of Night are all fighting all of the creatures that H. P. Lovecraft wrote about.

It is not as interesting as I had hoped it to be. I liked the team of Infestation 1 a lot better.

I'll stick with this for both issues but I doubt I will buy any of the spin-offs, well, maybe TMNT.

Grade
Story - B-
Art - B+


ZENESCOPE

Grimm Fairy Tales present Alice In Wonderland #1
Team
Writer - Raven Gregory
Artist - Robert Gill
Colorist - Jason Embury

I notice myself buying a lot of stuff by Raven Gregory. Very dark style, but really entertaining. He doesn't seem to have too many off days.

Anyways, this is a more sexy retelling of Alice In Wonderland.

This is the beginning of the Alice story when she has fallen down the rabbit hole and is trapped by the Jabberwockee for years.

This will be a fun title to keep up with




Grade
Story - B
Art - A+


No comments:

Post a Comment