Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Comic Reviews for February 1, 2012

My Pick of the list will have to go to Winter Soldier #1. Check it out.



DC COMICS


Justice League #5
Team
Writer - Geoff Johns
Artist - Jim Lee
Colorist - Alex Sinclair

PART FIVE

Great job. Every time that I read this book, it just gets better and better.

I am really enjoying how there is such great character development without sacrificing the story.

There is really no character in this book that I am not really digging right now. Hal is still a bit too goofy in this but it is getting a lot better.

The art is, as always, stellar. The best in comics in my opinion.

The team is still going up against Darkseid. By the end we get to see Hal leading the split up team while Superman and Batman are caught in Darkseid's lair.

Top of the stack for sure

Grade
Story - A
Art - A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Green Lantern Corps #5
Team
Writer - Peter J. Tomasi
Artist - Fernando Pasarin
Colorist - Gabe Eltab

MEAN MACHINE

This is the team that this book needs to stick with.......FOREVER. This book has just gotten to be so much fun.

So maybe the new squad is a bit of a knock -off of every action star of the 70s/80s. Aldo-Arnold, Bronchuck- Charles Bronson(and he looks just like him), Lee-Not positive, and Flint-Clint Eastwood. This one's for the old farts like me.

Guy grabs these old Bad-asses out of moth balls to take on the Keepers because they don't play by the rules.

I hope these guys stick around and are not massacred by the end of this arc.

Just read this book and enjoy yourself

Grade
Story - A-
Art - A+



Nightwing #5
Team
Writer - Kyle Higgins
Artist - Eddy Barrows
Colorist - Rod Reis

'TIL DEATH DO US PART

So I have been one foot in and one foot out of this book for quite a while. I feel like it suffers from the same issue that Teen Titans does, it is totally forgettable. I enjoy reading it, but once I close the book, I forget about it.

The biggest positive is that Saiko is back. I like this character a lot. I think he may have a great future as an eventual top tier bad guy.

I have decided that next issue will be my last if things don't feel better after reading it.

Grade
Story - C+
Art - B+


Justice League Dark
Team
Writer - Peter Milligan
Artist - Mikel Janin
Colorist - Ulises Arreola

THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN

So if you read this book by itself, you may feel yourself slipping slipping into an abyss of madness... Fortunately, I have been getting this book since issue one. So I decided to go back and read all 5 issues in a row.

If read all together, this book is a stroke of genius. I hope that all people are reading this the same way because I want this book to stick around a very, very long time.

I feel like you can't really even give a synopsis of the book. This is something you need to read yourself.

This book will be getting a new creative team in issue 7 with Jeff Lemire taking over the writing duties and I can't wait to see what his take will be

Grade
Story - A
Art - A+



Young Justice
Team
Writer - Greg Weisman
Artist - Luciano Vecchio
Colorist - Zac Atkinson

THE PENDULUM

Surprisingly good effort for this all ages book. It is a new take on Clayface(but there have been a lot of origin's for him)

There was very little involvement from the Young Justice team at all. The book did not need them honestly.

Talia Al-Guhl's is a bitch. There, I said it.

The art in this book seems to keep getting better recently. Even a bit more grown-up.

And the most important review of an all ages book is this... My kids Ages, 5-12 love this book and they fight over who gets to read it next.

Grade
Story - B-
Art - B


Catwoman #5
Team
Writer - Judd Winick
Artist - Guillem March
Colorist - Tomeu Morey

THIS HAS GOT TO GET DIRTY

Good issue, pretty standard for Catwoman. I actually have a few negatives however that I have to go geek on and point out.

First off, when Selena was fighting Reach, considering she is a meta human, Selena took her out way too easily.

Next, I don't see Catwoman, as a career thief, would be that relaxed and leave herself in such a venerable position as getting a massage.

And finally, when you give someone a $100 tip, they will not go run it through a national crime registry to see if it is stolen.

I really like the crooked cop story that is unfolding. We will see Selena more of the "good side of the road" very soon(but hopefully not too soon).


Grade
Story - B+
Art -A


Batman Detective Comics #6
Team
Writer - Tony Salvadore Daniel
Artist - Tony Salvadore Daniel
Colorist - Tomeu Morey

KILL GAME

As of this issue, I am out. I knew I had to drop a Bat-Book, and this just so happens to be the one that is catching my attention the least anymore.

The art was great and the story was passable, but because I have added Batman and will be getting the Batman Inc. in a few months, then something had to give.


Grade
Story - B-
Art - A


Red Lanterns #6
Team
Writer - Peter Milligan
Artist - Ed Benes
Colorist - Nathan Eyring

ALL TOO HUMAN

We have the official first human Red Lantern. I do have trouble buying that he was anywhere near the most rage filled person on earth to deserve such an honor. I don't event think he would be the most Rage filled person in Connecticut.

With that being said, I liked it. To me, that was a whole lot closer to what this title should be like. No real drama, no introspective thought by the characters, just a punisher like fury and trying to take revenge on those that are even more evil than the Red Lanterns themselves.

It was interesting to learn that the Red lanterns still have cognitive thoughts while their speech is garbles and growls until they hit the Blood Ocean.


Grade
Story - B+
Art - A+








MARVEL COMICS


Daredevil #8
Team
Writer - Mark Waid
Artist - Kano
Colorist - Javier Rodriguez

DEVIL AND THE DETAILS Part 2 of 2

I don't know if Daredevil and the Black Cat have ever hooked up, but they have a great chemistry. I really like them together and they seem to make a lot of sense honestly.

This is part two of the Daredevil/Spider-Man crossover event, which did get me into buying the Amazing Spider-Man title.

We already knew that Black Cat was innocent in the last issue, but this is the reveal to know what really happened.

Sort of a predictable story but entertaining none the less.

I do wonder if this will have any later backlash because of poor Peter seeing Daredevil and Black Cat making the beast with two backs.

I am glad that I read this


Grade
Story - B+
Art - B-



Deadpool #49.1
Team
Writer - Daniel Way
Artist - John McCrea
Colorist - Veronica Gangini

THE MUSICAL

I can not imagine a more creative way to do a recap of an entire series to catch everyone up before a major upcoming arc.

This is all done in parody lyrics. If you have enough imagination, you can hear ol' Wade doing his very best Weird Al.

I heard there was an audio track of the whole thing, but was unfortunately taken down due to copyright infringement or some crap. I would have loved to have heard it.

I know this book took a severe beating by the fan boys on the net, but I really don't feel that it was deserved. Yes, this was a throw away issue, but it was just a lot of fun. I loved that the writers took such a kooky chance.



Grade
Story - B
Art -B-

Venom #12
Team
Writer - Rick Remender
Artist - Lan Medina
Colorist - Marte Gracia/John Rauch

ROAD TRIP Part 3

This is another book that gets better as it goes. It feels like it is really starting to hit it's stride. It will be having its own mini-event starting next issue that I am starting to really look forward to.

It looks like we may end up with a full Symbiot war upcoming and I think it is so much fun.

It is almost too much to follow but I am buckled up and just enjoying the crazy ride.

Grade
Story - B+
Art - A-


Venom #13
Team
Writer - Rick Remender
Artist - Tony Moore
Colorist - Val Staples

CIRCLE OF FOUR Part 1

I do wish that I knew more about the Marvel Universe, because it would make all of these books even more enjoyable I think. It is a dificult line to draw between having that fantastic Continuinity, and makining it easy for a new reader to jump right in. ( I smell an opinion piece on this very soon)

I love that the devil character, Mr Delgi(Blackheart), makes me feel like he is Jerry Only or Glen Danzig from the Misfits.

This is my first exposure to X-23, and I really like her. Of course I have a lot of love for Venom and Ghostrider, and this book is making me like Red Hulk more that I did previously.

Johnny Blaze looks way too much like Flash Thompson in this book.

Vegas is in Hell. Very interesting place for all of this to take place.

There are moments that feel a bit like the Sandman from the art.

This will be a great Mini-Event so I will be reporting on every week with all four new issues


Grade
Story - A
Art - B






Amazing Spider-Man
Team
Writer - Dan Slott
Artist - Humberto Ramos
Colorist -Edgar Delgado

I KILLED TOMORROW Part 2 of 2
A DATE WITH PRE DESTINY

This was a great end to this little 2 part arc. Very digestible to a Spidey novice like myself. No cliff hanger, not so steeped in history that I would need to study 8 hours of wikipedia, just a lot of fun. You need last issue and that is about it.

Last issue left us on a cliff hanger that the world was about to end within a minute. This issue solves it that because they have been using an analog wristwatch as a base for when the world would end, but they misunderstood and it is AM and not PM.

Long story short, Spidey saves the world and we don't face a nucular holocaust.

Very fun read. Also liked a lot of the panel placement

Grade
Story - A+
Art - B+



Winter Soldier #1
Team
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Artist - Butch Guice
Colorist - Bettie Breitweiser

This comic is great. The art is beyond stunning. It feels different from everything else that is out there....It is almost too cool. I hope that doesn't mean that it is destined for a short run.

This revolves around a clod war era Bucky/James/Winter Soldier teaming up with Black Widow.

Unfortunately, it ends wit ha Russian Guns shooting Gorilla that is yelling "Death to America"

I am calling this book my pick of the week just because it is so different and so cool and I want everyone to check it out.


Grade
Story - A
Art - A+








IMAGE COMICS


Fatale #2
Team
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Artist - Sean Phillips
Colorist - Dave Stewart

CHAPTER TWO

I have made an official decision regarding this book. I will continue to buy it but I refuse to read it until issue 6. This needs to be read as a collected work.






Grade
Story - N/A
Art - A+





Alpha Girl #1
Team
Writer - Jeff Roenning
Artist -Robert Love
Colorist - Diego Simone


This is a fun, if not overly original title that has me hooked. I laughed out loud as much as I laugh in a good Deadpool book, which is very high praise from me.

It is about a zombie type apocalipse that the only people that are infected are women and they are very angry at men.

We have a lot of back story on our hero, Judith Meyers, but we are not really sure how she will fit into the story of why she is not one of the infected.

I will give this one a very long time. The art is fun. Not for children, at all

Grade
Story - A
Art - A


No comments:

Post a Comment