Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Comic Reviews for January 4, 2012

This is a very small week for me. I am trying out DCBService out this month so I am waiting for most of my main titles. Unfortunately it will only ship 2 x a month so I am stuck waiting. Yeah, not a fan at all. I don't know if the money I am saving is worth it.

Anyways, pick of the week goes to Fatale. Just pick it up







DC Comics

Batman Detective Comics #5
Team
Writer - Tony Salvadore Daniel
Artist - Tony Salvadore Daniel
Colorist - Tomeu Morey

WHEEL OF MISFORTUNE

It was a very good, although way to short of read this book.

Interesting other sided look at OWS protesters. I would have never really thought that I would ever see people protesting FOR the Joker.

This book is setting up clues for future issues, the way a Detective comic should I suppose. Its a seemingly small mystery that will grow into a huge one as time goes by.

I don't really know why the Penguin seems a bit interesting to me this story. I usually only have a slightly passing interest in him at all, because he is always boring to me....With the exception of his appearance in the last few issues of the Secret Six.

As I said earlier, this was an abbreviated issue with only about 75% being the Batman story. The remaining 25% was a odd little story with Catwoman. I am not a big fan of the comic companies doing this...but at least it didn't cost me a buck extra for it




Grade
Story - B(would have been an A had it been full length)
Art - B




ZENESCOPE

The Theatre #4
Team
Writer - Raven Gregory
Artist - Robert Gill/ Novo Malgado
Colorist - Michael Garcia

DOWN THE STREET

To start, this was the creepiest cover in the world. The more you look at it, the more twisted you realise it is. The creepy smile on the guy holding the tea cup while just resting the knife out in the open. SHUDDER!

First for the mini story in the front and end......kinda predictable but still the right amount of ick factor.

The main story was actually pretty well done with the usual twist at the end that always happens in this title.

It is fun but I am considering jumping off this title soon. Nothing new really seems to happen and I know the formula for the storytelling at this point. Ill see what happens with the next issue

Grade
Story - B
Art - A


MARVEL COMICS


Wolverine and the X-Men
Alpha and Omega #1 (of 5)
Team
Writer -Brian Wood
Artist - Roland Boschi/Dan Brown

This book is way, way, way better than I initially expected.

I am not very familiar with what is going on in the X Universe, but I have heard enough that I was able to follow what is going on in this story with no trouble.

This character, Quintin Quire is a full blown Douche bag. He is one of those characters that people will love to hate, so I am sure he will be around for a very long time.




Grade
Story - A
Art -A



AVATAR PRESS

Ferals #1
Team
Writer - David Lapham
Artist - Gabriel Andrade
Colorist - Digikore Studios

I honestly do not know what I was expecting when I originally opened of this book, but I do know that what I saw wasn't it.

This is a Werewolf book that has so much blood and gore inside of it that I honestly am looking to see if the book is dripping a red liquid substance.

I actually really liked the book, once I got over the initial shock of it all. I will be buying the next few issues at least, but honestly, I am not really sure how long this can stay interesting. I am sure the writers have some plans coming up to take us on a fantastically gory and disgusting trip.



Grade
Story - B
Art -A



IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT

Fatale #1
Team
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Artist - Sean Phillips
Colorist - Dave Stewart


BOOK ONE -
DEATH CHASES ME

I am sure that everyone on the Internet is buzzing about this book, and it is fantastic. I just heard about it this week and am so glad that I found it.

This is in a similar vein of the Incognito books(also written by Brubaker/Phillips). I always buy those in trade form but I think I will be sticking with these in the monthly form.

The art in this is absolutely great. Its moody and dark, but not pretentious.


Grade
Story - A+
Art -A

No comments:

Post a Comment