Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Comic Reviews for January 11, 2012


So this is week two on having to wait on my books. So here is the plan. On books that I just can't seem to wait to read, I will be keeping them on my pull list and picking them up at my LCS on Wednesdays. On books I like, but do not really love, or are more expensive, I will be shipping them from www.DCBService.com on their once a month shipping plan (cause it is the cheapest) It is great, if you are not like me and constantly looking forward to Wednesday.

As far as my pick of the week, this has been one of the hardest choices that I have had. Almost everything that I have read was a new to me series. And everything was absolutely fantastic. I will be splitting the honors and dividing it between Whispers #1 and Avengelyne #6. All of these books were great though and you would be happy with all of them. ... I can't wait to read the ones I missed when they come in on Monday.



MARVEL COMICS




The Amazing Spiderman #677
Team
Writer - Mark Waid
Art - Emma Rios
Colorist - Javier Rodriguez

LOST CAT

Well this was a very pleasant surprise to me. Not really a big Spidey fan but I did start picking up the Avenging Spiderman a few issues back. Because I am getting so few issues from my LCS (Oasis Comics in Las Vegas) because of this months experiment with DCBService.com(more on that from my opening notes), I decided to pick this one up because of the tie-in with the next issue of DareDevil.

I actually enjoyed this issue enough to add it to one of my pull lists. I enjoy seeing Spidey team up with DareDevil. It is really usually a EMO contest of who can life crap on the most and still keep a smile on your face.

Issue starts with a heartbroken and pathetically horny Peter Parker and ends with a search trying to clear Black Cat from stealing a very important piece of Smart phone technology.

Wait, Spiderman isn't a reporter anymore? What happened? As I say, I have not been into Spiderman for quite some time.

I really enjoyed the art. It doesn't have the clean lines that I usually favor, but it worked well with the story. I have a minor complaint that they made Peters eyes way too small when he is wearing his costume

Grade
Story - A
Art - B+

Scarlet Spider #1
Team
Writer - Christopher Yost
Art - Ryan Stegman
Colorist - Marte Gracia

LIFE AFTER DEATH

I have been seeing adds for the last few months about this book, and I am a sucker for getting in on a new character or #1 so I decided to pick it up.

With a typically convoluted Marvel history, they were kind enough to give you a diagram about how this character, Kaine, came into being.

This is a great story so far. In fact, this will probably be my second favorite character in the Marvel universe. This was a great execution.

Kaine, The Scarlet Spider, is a cross between Spidey and the Punisher. I just wish they had left him with the long hair and beard he had in the beginning of the book. It was a much cooler look IMHO.

This will most likely end up being my Spiderman Book.


Grade
Story - A++
Art - A




VERTIGO



Northlanders #47
The Icelandic Trilogy
Team
Writer - Brian Wood
Art - Declan Shalvey
Colorist - Dave McCaig

PART 6: COMMERCE 1000

So I bought this book in a trade paperback a while back and I loved it. However, I think that these books were made to be read in trade form.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book, but much the same as A Game of Thrones, I don't want to read this broken up. It is the same fantastic storytelling as what I read earlier, however this will be the last single issue that I will end up buying. I will continue to slowly collect all the back issues in Trade, and will eventually catch up and have the whole series.



Grade
Story - A
Art - B+




IMAGE COMICS


Whispers #1
Team
Writer - Joshua Luna
Art - Joshua Luna

Wow, Another great surprise this week. I love the premise of this story. I think this one could go far.

Basically its about a guy, that when he falls asleep into a dream world, he can leave his body and go to see anyone that he knows. When he gets there, not only can he read their thoughts, but he can introduce anything he says into their subconscious so that he can influence any of their decisions.

The art is fantastic.

I hope this one gets a very long run

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A+

Avengelyne #6
Team
Writer -Mark Poulton
Art - Owen Gieni
Colorist - Dexter Weeks

THE HAND OF GOD PART 3 OF 3


There is only one thing that I don't like about this book..It is always over way to soon. Everything about this book is just great.

This issue we get closure to the creepy serial killer named Torment from the first few issues. A .45 exploding your brains all over the room is pretty closed as far as I can tell.

Father Micheal is even more over the edge.

If you are not reading this comic, you should be


Grade
Story - A+
Art - A+

No comments:

Post a Comment