Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review. Inheritance





Inheritance
By Christopher Paolini
Knopf Publishing
2011
849 Pages

This book is a bit of a mixed bag for me, but before I get into my opinions, here is a bit about the story.

This is Book 4 of the Inheritance Cycle. The first 3 books are Eragon(2002), Eldest(2005) and Brisingr(2008). It follows the adventures of Eragon and his Dragon, Saphira, as they find themselves key elements in a war against the evil Galbatorix. There is a huge supporting cast with more sub-plots than I can count.

If you are a fan of epic storytelling, Dragons, Magic, and a great coming of age story, than this 4 book series is for you.

I think that the pictures that Mr. Paolini pains with his words are just fantastic. The Dragons are described in such detail that you fall in love with the creatures before the end of the first
half of the first book.

He also has a very interesting take on the relationships that would take place for a human and a Dragon to have to make a team.
I felt that parts of this book were so exciting that I refused to put it down. There were also parts of this book that just dragged on and on and did nothing to move the story forward. This book comes in at 849 pages but I feel like it could have easily have lost about 200-250 pages comfortably.

My largest complaint is that the main story climaxed, and then the author decided to put in another 100 pages of wrap up so that there would be no more books in the series.

The story may be done as far as Eragon and Saphira, but Mr. Paolini definitely seemed to leave a huge back door open to create more in the universe that he has created.......And I would love
to see this happen. I am a huge fan of this series and I would love to see more of it.
Although this was not the strongest book in the series, It was still far above most fantasy books that I have read.

I would love to see the rumored Graphic novel show up this year. Unfortunately, the movie that was made in 2006 was a disaster and made it impossible to continue the whole cycle without completely rebooting the entire film franchise and pretending the first movie never happened (I wish)



My Final Grade for this book............. A-
My Grade on the whole series.............A+

No comments:

Post a Comment