Thursday, September 29, 2011

The New 52



Ok, so it is finally over. All of the new 52 from DCs relaunch #1's are done. I was planning on actually buying all 52 titles but eventually decided not to. I ended up with going with roughly half of the titles. Now I will go through a list of what I wish I would have bought, what I am keeping, what I am dropping and what is hanging by a thread.

What I loved about this is that there are very few titles that everyone seems to agree on. People seem to gravitate toward different books for their own reasons. I love the discussion that the reboot has fostered.

With the amount of titles sold, I think that this can be considered a success so far. I just hope that the high sales continue after the hype has died down a bit

What I wish I would have bought.
This is going off of what I have heard on various podcasts and what I have read about and seem like I may have missed the boat and will most likely pick up next month in replacement of what I am dropping.

Batman #1. This miss was an oversight on my part. With all of the Bat-books that came out this month(13 not including issues outside of the bat family in which Bruce makes a cameo), I just didn't mark it down on my pull list. I have heard this is one of the best Batman titles and ties in nicely with Nightwing.

Wonder Woman #1. This was a very conscious choice to leave this off of my list. Then I have not heard a single negative comment about it. I hear it is exactly like a Vertigo book in both Art and Story.
I have never been a Wonder Woman fan but I will be picking up the second printing of this for sure

Superman #1 Another conscious choice I made was to not get Superman because I was already getting Action Comics. What changed my mind was when he makes a cameo appearance he made in Justice League Dark #1. His look and feel were amazing. I am hoping to grab one on Friday if my LCS still has and issues left (yes, I know, Good Luck)


Titles that are being Dropped from my pull list

Hawk & Dove. I am one of the people that did not hate this title. It was just tolerable. I don't feel it is a good use of my time with so many other issues I have to pass up with my budget. It was forgettable enough that I didn't recall much of the story at all when I thumbed through it to consider which stack I would be putting this into. I actually liked it when I first read it but I think it was mainly because of the newness of the whole reboot. I realize now that I really don't care about these characters or where this story ends up.

Green Arrow. I do stand by what I said about loving the look of this book and the new look of Green Arrow. However I am dropping this title, at least until issue 4(i think) when J. T. Krul is off of this title. Then I will re-evaluate again. I want to like this title but I don't want to wade through the corporate storyline that we have to wade through

Birds of Prey. This is the title I wanted to like so much. If my expectations would have lower, perhaps this would have ended up on the maybe list, but I just will not be picking this one up anymore.

Books that are hanging by a thread.

I, Vampire. As I said before, it is ok. Not great but I think there is enough potential to warrant keeping this title up for at least a few more issues. I hope this finds it's footing. I hope this one will be an eventual superstar, but it is on borrowed time if it doesn't find it a hook soon, it will be gone

Red Lanterns. Let's be honest, I am a Green Lantern freak so this will of course get a lot of extra padding from me. It is the weakest of the four Green Lantern titles so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. This book showed so much promise in its Flashpoint mini series. Unfortunately I feel that it lost a lot of its magic for me on this issue. I am hoping that it pulls itself back up on issue #2

Superboy. I don't know if Superboy will be interesting enough for me to keep this title, especially considering that I get him in 2 titles that keep (Teen Titans and Young Justice). I would like to keep it but I don't know that I care enough to read him that much. It is not that there is anything wrong with this book, but I like that other titles more

The Flash. I will try this for one or two more issues but I don't know if the Flash is interesting enough to me to warrant reading his solo book, and I get to see him in Justice League in a smaller dose

Batman The Dark Knight. This is a good title. I enjoy it but with the amount of good Batman titles out, I feel this is the lowest on the bar.

Titles that made the cut and I am definitely keeping

Suicide Squad. I think I have made it abundantly clear how much I love this title. I know everyone may not agree with me but I feel like this is the breakout hit of the entire reboot
Justice League Dark
Catwoman. I really don't care about the negative press this title has received, A woman can be sexy and empowered at the same time and I feel that Judd Winick really did show both sides of her personality that way.
Nightwing.
Red Hood and the Outlaws. The more I read this title, the better it gets
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern New Guardians. The best out of all the Green Lantern titles this month
Batgirl.
Batman and Robin
Batman Detective Comics
Justice League
Teen Titans
All Star Western. I was shocked that I liked this. I almost didn't read it at all but I love it now
Superman Action Comics



No comments:

Post a Comment