Saturday, September 10, 2011

Our self imposed solitary


This has been a topic that I do have been mulling over for about a year. How do we, as a discombobulated community of comic enthusiasts actually come together and welcome in new people?
Do we even want a community?

It may be that we need to change the way we all do business. The way we interact with each other and the way we interact with "outsiders". The way that people feel when they go into a comic store needs to change. And who's shoulders does all of this responsibility fall on?
I know, I know, I just asked a lot of questions with no answers, but I will attempt to give my ideas. I am not saying I have perfect solutions, or even good ones, but maybe this could spark some debate and we can see some new life breathed into this little world of comics that I have grown to love so much.

We are in such a great position to welcome in thousands upon thousands of new people into our community. Between Superhero movies becoming in Vogue, the DC relaunch, the sudden "coolness factor" that comes from being Geek-Chic, we could see so many great stories generated because of new revenue being pumped into the market, and more availability of "geek items".

So to start, How should we be interacting? I just went to a special event put on by a local comic store. People just naturally seemed to separate from each other, with the only conversation really going was a few guys that wanted to dominate the room by talking about how much they hate, well, everything. From the costumes, to the story lines, to the mismanagement of Marvel and DC, everything was made to seem like this is the worst waste of time hobby on the planet. I personally didn't get one persons name or remember anyone personally. We need to at least introduce ourselves around. We have this great thing in common, lets talk about it a little.

What should the comic stores responsibility be? The days of, get in, get your books, get out has got to end. It is time to begin to start getting ideas to keep people in the stores to stay for about 45 min or so a week. Stores should be a place to foster conversations, not only between the workers and the customers, but between customers to each other as well. The thought of making anyone, especially newer or returning readers, feel bad about what they don't know, about their choices in books, should be frowned upon. Your "superiority" is noted..we are all very proud of you..go talk to yourself somewhere away from everyone.

Remember that as a lot of us have grown up
reading comics, we need to really welcome in the younger crowd in. Learn to edit your conversations when appropriate and include these kids in when you see them. Pick up some all-age titles from time to time, read them and them give them away to some kid and talk about it with them. They are the future of this hobby and it is our responsibility to show some of the next generation some attention

This is the end of Part 1. Your feedback is appreciated while I begin writing Part 2

5 comments:

  1. I dig it man. I have started buying all-age comics for my boys and sharing with them. I can do my part for your social experiment and buy some additional comics for some of my boy's friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done article! I'm pretty impressed. This is the same opinion I share. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this article, its something that comic fans should really consider so that comics don't die out... Its important to get new people involved! (I just discussed with my fiance about what kinds of comics we'd get our kids recently)

    I think a lot of people resent the comics are now cool attitude (I know a lot of people who got bullied for this particular hobby) and don't want to interact with the new guys on the band wagon, as they have not had the same 'trial by fire'.

    Also, in England the attitude to comic readers is shockingly bad... like you've some sort of educational deficient if you read comics, it makes it very hard to talk to people about them when the just say 'why don't you read a real book' :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the UK it seems the general population is really dismissive of comic fans. I have a family member who will only read my articles when they're not about superheroes.
    That being said, other comic geeks can be hopelessly superior, like you pointed out. I constantly feel like I'm being frozen out of the wider comic community for one reason or another, be it for having the audacity to think Frank Miller isn't all that or being a female fan who doesn't really care about the female creators in comics issue. You're right that we should be more welcoming to new fans, but also less judgemental of each other. I feel like we are our own worst enemies here.
    I agree with Jennie's comment about perceived bandwagon jumpers not being welcome because they haven't been through the same stuff as long term dedicated fans, and I don't really think that's an attitude that's ever going to change. Mores the pity.
    If only more people felt the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for backing me up Emma, I completely agree!
    It took me a bit longer than expected to get some respect from my local comic shop, I think mainly becauser I was new there, and I hate to say it, a woman..
    As comic fans we dont get a great deal of help from the outside, i think its time we help each other.

    ReplyDelete