Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21 2011 Comic Reviews


DC Comics


Green Lantern Corps #1
Team Peter J Tomasi/Fernando Pasarin/Scott Hanna

Well, so far so good. Not the most interesting of titles but not something I am going to get rid of any time
soon.

This Green Lantern title will be centered around Guy Gardner and John Stewart. It reminds me a lot of the very serious note that was started when Green Lantern Emerald Warriors first began. There is a ton of potential in this book if it ends up paying off.

Something the new DC seems to like to do is spend a lot of time with all of our superheros when they are not in their
costumes and really trying to give a focus to their other lives. It feels a bit like Marvel in that aspect, which may not be a bad thing.

All in all I will pick up this title again just to see where it goes.

I found the purple Cloaked lady on pg 12 behind John Stewarts architectural
construct/blueprint.... and what I may feel as another clue is a purple cloak hanging in the principals office when Guy Gardner is interviewing.

Grade B-



Nightwing #1
Team Kyle Higgins/Eddy Barrows/J.P. Mayer

Bravo. I loved this book. I have never really been a Nightwing fan, in fact this is the first Nightwing title I have ever read. I really enjoyed it. It was a very pleasant surprise.

The art was fantastic. The story was better than ok. I had heard some grumblings about the costume being Red and Black instead of Blue and
Black. I like the red and black personally. Its a bit reminiscent of Batman
Beyond(which I really enjoyed)

This is not a reboot title. It gives a bit of history that he was just the Batman for a while in Gotham while Bruce Wayne was "unavailable". You really don't have to know any of the prior history to fully enjoy and follow this story.

Once again, DC is doing a smart move and introducing a new villain. If I didn't know better I would think it was the child of Wolverine and Jason Todd. He is actually not after Nightwing, but rather Dick Grayson. It is a very interesting take.

The lady in the cloak shows up when Dick is visiting his old circus for the first time.

Grade A


Red Hood and the Outlaws
Team Scott Lobell/Kenneth Rocafort

Ok, this title is pure fun. I like it a lot. I like seeing a Punisher type character in the DC universe.

If you are not familiar with who Red Hood is, I will give a very abbreviated version. The second Robin, Jason Todd, was killed by the Joker quite a few years ago. He was brought back to life, went completely nuts and became Red Hood.

While the story was good, it was not without it's flaws. I don't really understand Starfire. Great eye candy but odd.. Another character I may need to know some history on I suppose. My only knowledge of her comes from the Teen Titans cartoon.

Ill keep picking it up

Oh, the lady in the cloak shows up in the one Chicago page. She is pretty tricky to find in this one

Grade A-


Catwoman #1
Team Judd Winick/Guillem March

This story is filled with Catwoman looking sexxy. Lots of her kicking ass. The art is terrific. The story was great.

Oh hey look, Batman showed up.......again.......for the 7th time... this month.....on the relaunch..well then

This will be a fun title to watch grow a bit. I think they really are going to try to make Catwoman a bona fide
Anti-hero star

Grade A


Birds Of Prey #1
Team Duane Swierczynski/Jesus Saiz

I want to like this book. Sad fact is that I just do not. Decent art. Story is confusing.

I may check out one more of this title, but I doubt it

The lady in the cloak shows up when Black Canary is going up to meet Barbra Gordon aka Batgirl aka Oracle

Grade D



Young Justice #8
Team Greg Weisman/Kevin Hopps/Christopher Jones/Dan Davis

This is the continuation of last months issue where you get to meet Artemis. I am kind of liking this story. This book may be all ages but that does not mean it is not fantastic.

Yes Batman makes an appearance in this book too. So if you are keeping score, of the DC Books this week, 4 featured Batman, 2 did not, however, He was made reference to in the Red hood title......He is one busy non-meta human

Because this is not one of the new 52, there is no Lady in the purple cloak

Grade B+



Marvel Comics




Captain America #3
Team Brubaker/McNiven/Leisten/Ponsor

Oh how quickly I am seeming to fall out of love with this title. The whole Ameridroid thing + time travel(or inter dimensional travel) thing just feels a bit silly to me.

This title has one more chance for me

Grade C-



Here Comes....Daredevil
Team Waid/Martin/ Vicente

So this is the exact opposite of Capt America. Every issue I am starting to like this more and more.

Although it may seem strange, nothing really happened in this issue. Yes there was action, and good story telling, but it was a bit like a Seinfeld episode...Nothing happens. It was self contained. I really liked it.

I love the art on this one by the way. Fantastic visual story telling.

It was a bit odd however that this issue did come out this week, when they just did a release last week. They can keep up that print schedule as long as they like as long as they keep giving me a great little escape like this one

Grade, A

Dynamite Entertainment


A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
Team Abraham/Patterson

So this comic will most likely be passed around a lot. I really like it so far
and I have at least a few friends that would be very into it.

To be clear, I have not seen the very popular show, nor have I read the novel, but this was very easy to follow and understand. I loved the art. I have a feeling I will be buying this book till it is down to its bitter end

Grade A+



The Bionic Man #2
Team Kevin Smith/Phil Hester/Jonathan Lau

I came into this one without first reading the #1 issue, but as usual, Kevin Smith seems to be a master at a slower build, so I was able to jump right in.

This title is great. If they made it into a TV show, it would probably be among my favorites like The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy.

Going into this, especially if you grew up watching the old 70s TV show with Lee Majors, you have a generally good idea of whats going to happen, but there are elements in this that are just a fantastic switch up that I have no clue where they will end up.

I am already excited to read the next issue

Grade A+

Vampirella and the Scarlet Legion #4
Team Harris/Malaga

It is time once again for the "other" Vampirella title. I usually like the main Vampirella title a lot more than this one, but this issue has me really hooked on this one.

This has a great cliff hanger at the end that I am very curious about. I do wonder if this is just its own story arc, or if this title will continue after and stay its own title, instead of being dissolved into the regular book

Grade A












No comments:

Post a Comment