Thursday, September 15, 2011

My comic day ritual


I know that everyone has their own rituals for when they read their books. I just thought it may be an interesting article to talk about what I do when I read mine.

My ritual often starts Tuesday nights. I usually have the list pulled up on my computer of what will be getting released and is going to be dropped into my pull box. I will try to go through and do a quick scan through of the last issue or two so that I can really have a grasp on my new when I read them the next day. I then make sure that everything is back in the normal alphabetical order and in the right numbers(yes I know, my OCD is showing)

The next morning, I get up early so I have a lot of time to kill. Just to be clear, I don't get up early because it is new comic day, my work dictates that I am up at 5 am so my internal clock wakes me up by 6 at the latest. Anyways, during my down time, I try to get some of my pre-
production done on my blog for the comic reviews. I get all of the images I can, being very careful not to read any spoilers, or really any opinion pieces at all about the books I am about to dive into. I really don't like to have my opinion skewed before I read the book personally.
So after my formatting is done, it is just about time to go over to the comic store.

My Comic store experience is ever evolving so lets just say I pick up my books and go home. Maybe next article will be about how I want it to be.

So I go home and I organize my books into a very specific order of what I am the most excited to read to the least. I usually base it off of how good
the last issue was, or maybe just what title is (note, Green Lantern Titles almost always go first). I then like to turn on some mellow music, preferably something without words, and pull out my first book. I like to write each review right after I finish each issue. Then I will put the book in one of two piles. One pile is when I bag and board them, and as soon as they are done, I will organize them and put them into their proper series spots. The second pile is where I put the books that I really enjoy and want to read again. Usually that will be the next day, but on rare occasion, such as Suicide Squad #1 being so good, I will end up reading them again right after I finish my whole stack.

Yeah, that's about it. What are your comic reading rituals?




You can follow me on Twitter @comicnotgeek


No comments:

Post a Comment