Thursday, September 8, 2011

Comic Reviews for September 7/8

Comic Reviews for September 7/8, 2011






DC Publishing


Superman Action Comics #1
Team Grant Morrison/Rags Morales/Rick Bryant


To be fair, I have never been more than a casual Superman fan. I suppose his boy scout attitude and no match for anyone abilities bored me a bit. The Superman in this book is not that Superman.

Superman seems to be about 19-22 years old. When he gets hit by a train, he hurts and shows battle damage. He has an attitude that seems to be a cross between Peter Parker/Spiderman and a bit of Batman. He is indeed the "good guy" but he is not above using terror to take down the bad guys. He is as arrogant and a young man with all of his abilities should be.

Clark Kent in this comic is about (I am guessing) 10 years before our new timeline. He does not yet fly. He does not have the skin tight costume he is thought of wearing. Now he wears blue jeans with the very iconic "S" logo on his t shirt with a cape. He is also working at the rival newspaper to Lois Lane, it was not revealed who works at the Daily Planet and who doesn't but I will guess that Lois works at the Planet.

In the new 52, there is a reoccurring character that we know nothing about, but she is supposed to appear in every book. It is almost a Where's Waldo thing. In this issue she appears in the 4th to last page, bottom panel sitting on the train.

I feel like this is a very strong first issue. I really liked it and will continue to pick it up. I recommend it.

Grade A



Batman Detective Comics #1
Team Tony Daniel/Ryan Winn

When you look at the cover of this issue, you will get a taste for how dark it is. I do enjoy Batman a lot but I have never been so fascinated with the Joker. He was absolutely mind blowing.

I can't really talk to much about this without spoiling it but it is a home run. Pick up this title. If nothing else, buy it for the bone-chilling splash on the last page

The lady in the hood appears in the background crowd scene after Joker plants a huge explosion near Gotham Station, about the middle of the book

Highly Recommended for slightly more mature audiences

Grade A




Batgirl #1
Team Gail Simone/Ardian Syaf/Vicente Cifuentes


I did not think I was going to really be into this book, but I picked it up because it was written by Gail Simone. I loved this story. This went so far beyond my expectations that its ridiculous.

I loved how they decided not to just ignore the fact that Barbara Gordon(Batgirl/Oracle) was in a wheel chair, instead they made it a very key element to the story.

I always appreciate heroes that struggle with fears and physical limitations. I appreciate it more when it causes them to have even more problems down the road when their fears catch up to them. I love that there is a price for you humanity.

Very interesting villain this time named the Mirror. as far as I know, this is his first appearance but he could eventually be a top level villain if he is written right

I couldn't find the woman in the cloak this issue....You win this time Waldo!

Highly Recommended

Grade A+




Green Arrow #1
Team J.T. Krul/Dan Jurgens/George Perez

And the award for the coolest looking post-reboot hero goes to Green Arrow(so far anyways). Green Arrow has always felt to me like a poor man's Batman but this feels like there may be a lot of improvement coming for this title.

The Art was by far the highlight of this issue. Not a bad storyline, but not the most intense on this weeks stack. It was well paced and a quick read.

I did find the cloaked lady in France, in the nightclub that Ollie was fighting the gang in.

Grade B


Hawk & Dove #1
Team Sterling Gates/Rob Liefeld

My only prior experiences with Hawk & Dove were in the Blackest Night Series and The Justice League cartoon. That made this issue a welcome book. To me they are very fresh characters and it gives you a whole back story on what and who they are.

This wasn't a great issue and it wasn't a bad issue. It laid a lot of groundwork and gave enough of a cliffhanger to keep my interest

It did deliver one of my favorite lines of the week, Hank/Hawk was fighting a zombie like character and he says, "don't you know what everyone else does? Zombies aren't cool anymore"

I do feel that with Sept 11 anniversary this week, it was in a bit of poor taste to have a hijacked plane hit the Washington Monument. It felt a bit in poor taste.

The woman in the cloak showed up on one of the last few pages walking around the Reflecting Pool.

Grade B-



Marvel Publishing



Wolverine #15
Team Jason Aaron/Goran Sudzuka/Matthew Wilson

There were elements of this book that were amazing, there are elements that utterly confuse me. watching Wolverine slip into madness makes for fantastic storytelling.

Some of his relationships are lost on me because of the forever long stories make it very hard in this universe to just pick up a title and start reading. I am able to put together enough of the pieces that this is still enjoyable to read

Grade B-





The Punisher #3
Team Greg Rucka/ Marco Checchetto/Matt Hollingsworth


This gave a great Punisher Vs The Vulture fight for pretty much the whole issue.

Not really much of a story at all but the art was by far the best of this week out of all the reading i did. Looks like they may be bringing in Daredevil soon judging by the newspaper "easter eggs" in the form of newspapers strewn around the street with a large Man Without Fear headline

This one is worth buying for the art

Grade B




No comments:

Post a Comment