Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Comic Reviews for September 14







To begin with, this was a huge week. So without further ado.....

DC Comics







Green Lantern #1
Team Geoff Johns/Doug Mahnke/Christian Alamy

My First concern when seeing the relaunch title of Green Lantern is to see Sinestro on the cover wearing a green ring. I read the book and am actually very surprised how much I enjoyed it. Yes Hal Jordan is still in the picture without his ring but I get the feeling he wont be without it for too long.

Sinestro had some wonderful moments in this issue, especially when he went back to Korugar and ended up fighting
his own Sinestro Corps. Seeing him with the Green Ring is absolutely destroying him and is making for some fantastic exploration of the character

Meanwhile, on earth, Hal Jordan is not doing well at all in adjustment to civilian life without the ring. His apartment is being Foreclosed on, he has no job, he ends up in jail while trying to do what comes naturally for him, being a hero. He no longer can relate with Carol Ferris and is screwing up everything.

This book may also be the end for the only guardian that anyone cares about, Ganthet, as it appears the other guardians have finally had enough of him not agreeing with them in all things.

This book doesn't seem like a reboot to me, just a simple re-numbering back to #1. I am fine with that. There is more life breathed into this book now however. Fantastic read

The hooded lady appears in Coast City while Hal and Carol are walking around.

Grade A+



Red Lanterns #1
Team Peter Milligan/Ed Benes/Rob Hunter

This is another really fun title. I don't know what I expected, but I do like it.

I like the sense of morality that the Atrocious, leader of the Red Lanterns, abides by, I hate to admit that I can relate to them....just not at that extreme degree. They are almost like a more powerful Punisher in some ways. I am not sure where this title is heading, but i am in for the ride

The Cloaked lady appears in a side ally where the two brothers are about to fight towards the end of the book

Grade B+

Batman and Robin #1
Team Peter J. Tomasi/Patrick Gleason/Mick Gray

This is the first time that I have seen Bruce and his son Damian together as Batman and Robin. It is a very different chemistry that the Dick Grayson/ Damian team up that I have gotten so used to. It is not a bad team up and I am looking forward to seeing where it will go.

This issue shows a lot of Bruce trying to kind of let Damian in as he is trying to let go of his past pain, but Damian is less then interested. He just wants do live in the now.

The lady in the cloak appears right beside the pool during a cutaway when Bruce and Damian are having their battle

Grade is a B-


Suicide Squad #1
Team Adam Glass/Frederico Dallocchio/Ransom Getty

To be completely honest, I was looking forward to this title more than any other title. This is my new favorite book. It is a take off of Secret Six. I love this title. Violent, compelling, dark humor, great art, this is the total package. I would have a hard time saying this is not the best book I have read throughout the whole new 52 so far.

Harley Quinn has never looked hotter or been cooler

This book left me speechless. Do yourself a favor and pick it up

The woman in the cloak shows up in the first scene when Deadshot is being tortured.

Grade A+++++++


Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E #1
Team Jeff Lemire/Alberto Ponticelli


This book has so much potential. There are some great characters,a very interesting premise, but it is just missing something. I feel like I should love this title but I don't. I said before that it is a Hellboy knock-off and that doesn't bother me. I wish that I could put my finger on what it is, but I just don't know.

The art feels a bit rushed. Ill give it another few issues, but only because I want to like it,

The woman in the cloak appears in the background when Frank is shooting Monsters in the city

Grade is a C

Superboy #1
Team Scott Lobdell/R.B. Silva/ Rob Lean

I had the absolute lowest expectations for this title. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

It was very much the same origin story we have come to expect from the superboy titles. Nothing new, but if you like Superboy, you will like this. I liked the art but it got me the most excited to see what they are going to do with him on Teen Titans,

The woman in the cloak shows up in the lab right before Superboy is taken away on the Helicopter

Grade B










Marvel Comics



Ghost Rider, Fear Itself #3
Team Rob Williams/Brian Ching/Sean Parsons/Rob Schwager

When a Ghost Rider title is good, there is just the right mix of heresy, humor, spiritual enlightenment, action, great art and excitement that leaves you hungry for more. When it is bad, it is preachy, confusing, and pretty much boring. Luckily this was a good one. I really hope we get to see Johnny Blaze take back the Ghost Rider Mantle at the end of this story arc

Grade A-



Deadpool #43
Team Daniel Way/Carlo Barberi/Walton Wong/Jorge Gonzalez

Deadpool is such a polarizing character. Either you love him or you hate him. There is no in between. I just happen to be one of those poor, misguided souls that love him.

This issue takes place in England after he was broken out of a mental institution by a Dr that is crazier than he is. So crazy in fact that Deadpool himself is freaked out by her.

Lots of LOL moments throughout this whole book. Its a fun time

At the end there is a little special couple of pages for 9/11 that was really touching

Grade A-

Here comes Daredevil #3
Team Mark Waid/Paolo Rivera/Joe Rivera/Javier Rodriguez

Nice story this time. Daredevil basically get some ear damage fighting a villain named Klaw who is a master of sound. It is a very interesting premise considering sonar is how he sees.

I like to see Matt Murdock actually coming out on top at the end of a story. I hate how in the past, every time you picked up a Daredevil book up, it was just a masochistic torture of ole' Matt. I like this direction...at least for a little while

Grade B



Dynamite Entertainment



Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time #12
Team Robert Jordan/Chuck Dixon/Ronilson Freire

This is some absolutely beautiful art. Unfortunately I just came in on #12 so I am completely lost so I don't feel that I can give an accurate review












Zenescope Publishing

Fly #4
Team Raven Gregory/Eric J

This is probably one of the best comics that not enough people are reading. The art has been consistintly great, the storyline is riviting. Although I usually hate media with the "just say no" undertones to it, but this does not feel at all preachy or condesending. I will continue this till it ends











No comments:

Post a Comment