Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Comic Reviews for October 5, 2011









So I am changing my format just a bit this time. I usually do DC first because I get the most issues from them. I am just going to kind of go a bit randomly this time. This week I am doing 5 issues that I have never read, all first issues.
A quick note that Hawk and Dove as well as Green Arrow have been dropped from my reviews this week. Gotta whittle it down.

Zenescope Publishing



The Theatre #1
Team Gregory/Montiel/Garcia

Before I start this review I want to give a big thumbs up to Zenscope Comics. I love the fact that when they put out an issue, which is usually fantastic, they always put out 4 alternate covers that are all the same price. It is a wonderful feel for the collection aspect of comics.

Ok now on with the review. I don't know if I could love this title anymore. It is a fantastic premise. It appears that everything in this will be a one-shot, which is something I kind of enjoy with comics.

If you have ever read the Grimm's Fairytales that are put out from Zenscope, you will kind of get the way they are setting these stories up. Our story begins with a couple in an empty theatre. They do a little bit of small talk and gibberish that is to be expected when a couple is newly dating. Then the lights go out and the movie comes on.....

It is then on to our main storyline. It is a simple 2 person story with a father and son at the end of the Zombie Apocalypse. I wont spoil the end (of either story) but they are both very good.

It is definitely mature title and is a horror if you scare easily. There are so many interesting ways that they could take this. I am excited to see where it goes.

Grade A






Image Comics



Spawn #212
Team Goff/McFarlane/Carlton/Kudranski

I am familiar with the character of Spawn. However, this is the first actual Spawn comic I have ever read.

I won't be giving too much a review because I think that I jumped in at a very difficult spot.

I will be reading this again, and again. The art is fantastic. The story seems very good, it is just a bit hard to jump in on.

I will be adding this to my pull list and trying to get into the story, because it is very interesting to say the least

Grade B



Asylum Press





Chopper #1 (of 5)
Team Shapiro/Ferreyra

I went into the store today, and I bought this title based purely on the cover. I have not heard of this at all. So I get to go into it with absolutely no pre-conceived notions

Ok, I do like it. There seems to be a lot going on in it. Like the title "Fly"(which I also really enjoy from Zenescope) it is an anti-drug undertone to it.

Let me break down some of the things going on. The main characters life is falling a part a bit. She is a cheerleader that is also a small time drug dealer. Her father is a cop. She is selling a new designer drug called Stairway To Heaven that seems to summon a headless Hell's Angel that is all too real. This title is going on during the Daytona Bike Week (which BTW is the 2nd biggest bike rally in the US

Mature title due to language, themes, Nudity, yadda yadda yadda.

I am pretty sure that I will be sticking with this series all 5 issues

Grade A



Boundless Comics




War Goddess #0
Team Wolfer/Rodrix

This is the second issue I bought this week that I have heard nothing about previously. When I went to get the picture of the cover off of the Internet, I saw a lot of different covers, so I assume this has a lot of history to it and this is a Re-boot(I just cant get away from the Reboot word lately. lol)

This started as a cold opening, just jumping right into action. It is about the Goddess Pandora that is in our modern world as a scientist. Fantastic art. I'm loving this so far.

On a bit of a side note, to all the people that felt that Catwoman was too sexy, do me a favor and read this so you can shut the F*%^ up! This would possibly be over the line if it wasn't so good

Grade B+




Marvel Comics



Deadpool
Team Way/Barberi/Wong/Daniel

Once again Deadpool does not disapoint. I get to literally laugh out loud. I absolutly love the foil of Whitby being so crazy it makes Deadpool uncomfortable. Although this won't be the last time we see her, we should be getting a break from her for a while.

Art is great as last time.

Grade A+











DC Comics

Red Lanterns #2
Team Milligan/Benes/Hunter

This was so much closer to what I thought the Red Lanterns should be like. This feels the way that any ring corps should be(with the very notable exception of the Yellow Sinestro Corp) and that is doing what is right in the way their very nature dictates.

I like how they are setting up better roles for the other members of the Red Lanterns. The natural choice for them to set up as a #2 Ring-slinger would be the very sexy and dark Bleez.

I hope they keep going in this direction. It will make me a very happy fan.

My only nit pick would be that in the art that a few times, Atrocious looked way too much like a red Doomsday. Hmmm, Superman vs the Red Lanterns? Would make a fantastic crossover story somewhere down the line

Grade A



Batman Detective Comics #2
Team Daniel/Winn/Florea


Did you see the movie called Repo the Genetic Opera? Yeah this is kind of the same thing without all of the singing.

I don't really know what they did with the Joker and his lack of a face since last issue or even where of all this is going...But I am VERY intrigued.

I don't see them killing off Jim Gordon but I do not see how they will wrap this up without a lot of damage.

I would call this a great comic just with the fact that I have so many questions and it is almost frustrating, but not in a bad way at all.

Everytime I read one of the Bat books, I can't decide which I want to drop. They are doing such a great job with this character. Hopefully we won't have overexposure of him.

Grade A


Batman #1
Team Snyder/Capullo/Glapion

This title is great. I missed it last week and I was lucky enough to get the last copy at my LCS today.

I am putting this on my list and it will be replacing Batman the Dark Knight.

This has a lot of nods to people that do know Batman. Like an apperance of Vicky Vail and the Batmobile from the origional Tim Burton Movie.

One nit pick I have is when it introduces all the 3 Robins, their size does not seem correct, especially with Dick having been Batman for a year prior.

The cliff hanger at the end made me actually upset enough that I was mad. I love when a story can actually ellicit a response like that

Grade A+


Huntress #1 (of 6)
Levitz/To/Dell

This is an interesting mini-series so far. The Huntress gets to take on gun runners and human traffickers, in the same shipment....The economy must be hitting everyone.

I like the art but there is a strage haze or wash over everything so that colors are not as vivid as I personally prefer.

Fun title and a Quick and easy read. I am a bit suprised that the huntress did not get her own title but instead just got a mini-series.

Grade B





Superman Action Comics #2
Team Morrison/Morales/Anderson/Bryant

This title is better than the first Action by far. And I liked the #1 a lot. It is getting very dark. Great origin title without having it shoved down your throught if that makes any sense.

I love the portrail of Lois Lane as a spoiled little brat. Kind of endearing.

Grade A+

No comments:

Post a Comment