Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Comic Reviews for October 12,2011



This Weeks books were purchased at Comic Oasis (www.comicoasis.com or @comicoasis on Twitter) 3121 N. Rainbow Blvd, Las Vegas. (Not a paid endorsement)
DC Comics



Suicide Squad#2
Team
Adam Glass
Frederico Dallocchio
Andrei Bressan

This book just made a personal record with me. It is the top of my stack, even with Green Lantern coming out. Not that it means anything but Congratulations

This was not even a little bit disappointing. Such a great comic book.

It will be hard not to get attached to the characters in this book. Unfortunately, as Amanda Waller says so blatantly, "everyone on your team is expendable". It is only issue 2 and already one of our characters(Voltaic) is dead.

Deadshot comes up as the leader of the team and it is an interesting choice. I would have went with Harley Quinn being the leader but I would have been wrong. That is why I don't write comics my friends.

One of the opening lines was fantastic. A guy comes running onto the field, where the team has been sent to kill everyone, and he says "Oh thank god, the Justice League" It just struck me as so funny. Especially when he is shot a few panels later.

The Characters are really coming to light in this issue. As I said, it will be very hard not to get attached to these characters. El Diablo has the most redeeming qualities so my guess is that he will die next issue.

Grade
Story A++
Art A


Green Lantern #2
Team
Geoff Johns
Doug Mahnke
Christian Alamy
Keith Champagne

I did like issue #1, I even recommended it in my last blog and have to some of my friends. This issue BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER. This is so good.

I love seeing how good Sinestro really is. He did what I never would have thought a ring could do, he actually created another ring with it so that he could have an ally in Hal Jordan and he can control him. Maybe there are other instances of ring duplication in the past but I have never personally read it.

Hal also get a very strong lesson from Sinestro when Hal tries to save some people falling off a collapsing bridge. Instead of letting Hal save a few, Sinestro fixes the bridge and saves everyone. No matter how Evil Sinestro has been percieved as, Hal, and really all of the lanterns can learn a lot from him

Grade
Story A+
Art A-

Batman and Robin #2
Team
Peter J. Tomasi
Patrick Gleason
Mick Gray

My first impression of this book when I saw the cover was not highly favorable. I am not sure why, but the angle of the Batmobile looks a bit like a pig from hell. But you know the old saying about not judging a book by it's cover.

This is very quickly becoming my favorite Batbook. There was a fantastic intro to who Damian actually is. This probably could have been the issue #1, and is a much better start point than the last issue. It is as if the creative team just now realized that not everyone really knows this Robin.

I love how Bruce is now trying to not be just a mentor, but is trying to be a father. Alfred is of course, being the father to Bruce and the concerned Grandfather to Damian, without the title of course.

Bruce has been showing more and more humanity. I love when he confesses that he is afraid of dying for the first time in his life because he is afraid what would happen to the frail psyche of Damian.

Some very frighting glimpses into Damian when it shows when no one is around(except Alfred, who is lurking like a weird Pedophile(just Kidding) ) he grabs a bat out of the air, crushes it to death, looks at it, kind of pets it, and then disposes of it down the bottom of the cave.

Grade
Story A+
Art A+


Batgirl #2
Team
Gail Simone
Ardian Syaf
Vicente Cifuentes

This is another issue that has far exceeded the last issue. Wow, the places this story is going is just fantastic.

You have Batgirl coming to the realization that she is back to early since she came out of her wheelchair. I am sure it has happened in other stories but it feels so new and fresh to have a superhero so unsure of themselves.

Like I said last Batgirl review, I love this villain, the Mirror. He is so understandable why he became what he is. You can almost empathise with him. You will learn why she is on his list to kill

I only have one complaint, and it is about the art. Whenever Barbara is in costume, I love the art throughout the entire panels, however, whenever she is not, the art seems to change throughout, it is the most noticeable when she is on her date.

Grade
Story A+
Art A/C+


Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E #2
Team
Jeff Lemire
Alberto Ponticelli

I am still trying so hard to love this book. I will say that I did like it better than the last issue which is good. I like the story, in fact I like the story a lot. What I don't like, which is less extreme than last issue, is the computer information that pops up on panels. It just feels like too much.

This book has made the cut(barely) but will be re-evaluating after next issue. I so want to love this



Grade
Story B-
Art D

Dynamite Publishing



Vampirella #10
Team
Eric Trautmann
Heubert Kahn Michael
Marshall Dillon
Stefani Rennee

This is the final Vampirella of this story arc. So, anyone that has been waiting, next issue will be a new arc and a great jumping on point.

We get to finally see the end of the Blood cult demons what wear the Guy Fawkes Masks. Honestly not the greatest ending but everything was nicely wrapped up.

I did have very high hopes that her sidekick, Sophia, was going to develop into something so much more at this issue as her "secret weapon" but it was just kind of normal and mundane. I am hoping she will have some sort of twist to her eventually.

Grade
Story B+
Art A



IDW Publishing




Dead Rising Road to Fortune #1
Team
Tom Waltz
Kenneth Loh
Ester Sanz

I didn't buy this because it is a video game, in fact, I didn't even know it was until I opened the cover and there is advertisement for it. No, I bought it because the cover has a guy hitting a Zombie with a guitar. I thought to myself, this is going to be awesome. Remember what I said about judging a book by its cover?

The story and the characters feel like things you have seen a million times before. It is trying to be a bit of Max Pain, the Walking Dead and a touch of Army of Darkness..I never said the good parts of any of it.

The art goes from pretty good, to pretty bad. It is very inconsistent

I won't be picking this up again, however, I am sure it is a very good video game, where it should have stayed

Grade
Story D+
Art C




Marvel Comics



Ghost Rider #4
Team
Rob Williams
Matthew Clark
Sean Parsons
Rob Schwager

Wow, so it does look more and more like Johnny Blaze is out and Alejandra is in as the Ghost Rider. But really, who knows?

This is the most readable of the last 4 issues of Ghost Rider. Still not in love with the art but as far as the storyline goes, I am in.

We get to see the departure of the very psychopathic Adam in this issue. I am very curious where this is going

Grade
Story B+
Art C+

The Punisher #4
Team
Greg Rucka
Marco Checchetto
Matt Holingsworth

Another great Punisher issue with Frank Castle doing what he does best, not taliking too much and being a Bad-Ass.

Honestly, there is nothing new in this issue, just Punisher type action, which is what I want in a Punisher comic.

You either get his sense of morality of you don't

Grade
Story B
Art A-





Dark Horse Comics



Orchid #1
Tom Morello
Scott Hepburn
Dan Jackson

I love that Dark horse will take a lot of their first issues of their new series and make them $1.00. Otherwise I would have never have given this particular issue a second look.

I also love that this gook was written by Tom Morello, the guitarist for Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave

This is a post-appocoliptic comic. At least the world didn't end with Zombies. It is a little hard to follow, especially for a brand new title. The clothing is all over the board as far as time periods, maybe some time travel is involved?

This will be a girl goes for revenge type title and because they were nice enough to sell me this copy for one dollar, I will give this title one more chance

Grade
Story C+
Art B

Kull The Cat and the Skull
Team
David Lapham
Gabriel Guzman

I Picked up this title because I wanted a Fantasy type book like Conan. I should have bought Conan.

Although I loved the art, and it was very well done, it just didn't seem to fit the story at all.

I was just expecting something.....Different.


Grade
Story C
Art B

No comments:

Post a Comment