Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Comic Reviews for October 19, 2011

This Weeks books were purchased at Comic Oasis (www.comicoasis.com or @comicoasis on Twitter) 3121 N. Rainbow Blvd, Las Vegas. (Not a paid endorsement)

Dynamite Entertainment



Bionic Man #3
Team
Kevin Smith-Writer
Phil Hester-Writer
Jonathan Lau-Pencils
Ivan Nunes- Colors
Simon Bowland Letters
Alex Ross- Cover

This is the second issue of this title that I have read and I am really enjoying it. The art and story are nothing short of spectacular.

The fourth page into the book is a full page that is absolutely chilling. You see Steve Austin (the Bionic Man) who has just woken up from a 4 week coma, in agony as he realizes that he has lost both of his legs, one of his eyes, and his right arm. It really set the mood of this book.

As per usual Kevin Smith story telling, it is a very slow and detailed build into the story. He really makes you love the characters before you are put into any real action.

In a great nod to the original TV series, there were 2 fantastic call back lines. The first one is the always famous, "We have the technology, we can rebuild him" and a great sign of the times that says" We have a budget of 6 million dollars............a day".

This book mainly dealt with Steve Austin slowly coming to grips with what has happened to him and the powers that be laying the groundwork for him to become the cyborg that is the Bionic Man. There was also a small reminder of the big bad guy that Steve will no doubt eventually cross paths with.

Grade
Story A+
Art A-


Marvel Comics




Deadpool Max II #1
Team
David Lapham - Writer
Kyle Baker - Artist

So I bought this title because I am loving the regular Deadpool title. I think that I may like this one even better than that as far as the story line is going.

I don't actually know if "Max" is a different universe like the Ultimate universe, or if it is just an easy way to give popular characters another title. If anyone knows, I would love the info.

Not a big fan of the Watercolor feel of the art, but I am not opposed to it.

As usual, Deadpool is a mix of comedy and action. I am really starting to understand why I hear a lot of people so into this character. I literally laughed out loud more than once which rarely happens to me.

This story has Deadpool and Hydra Bob fighting against Hydra in a Mega-Church. That alone may make this title a bit off limits to some readers. I say it is just entertainment...But that is another story that I may write about in this weeks opinion article tomorrow.

I am definitely sticking with this title.

Grade
Story A
Art B-

Wolverine #17 Regenesis
Team
Jason Aaron - Writer
Ron Garney - Art
Jason Kieth - Color

Yet another book that has hit it out of the park this month.

Lets start with the cover...It really had very little to do with the story except with the fact that before Wolverine gets caught up with his usual amounts of trouble, he is packing up to leave San Francisco to go back to the East Coast to rebuild the X-men school. (I am really looking forward to where this story will take us, but we won't see this for a little while judging from this story) Anyways, the cover made me think of the famous Incredible Hulk TV show credits with the sad piano music with him slowly walking away.

This story takes place in Chinatown and Logan is tying up loose ends so he can move. Logan ends up having to team up with Gorilla Man(who reminds me way too much of Gorilla Grod from the DCU) to get his money back and stop a huge heroine shipment to clean up the streets. Yeah, I know

I feel like I am missing a lot, but I don't really know what as far as history goes. I felt like I could jump right in because it felt satisfying enough with the way the story moved.

There was a real Dragon involved in this issue, and I have a huge thing with enjoying dragon stuff. It was very surprising to see that and I am really hoping that it can stick around for a while

I like the style of the art but there were some panels that felt a bit rushed to me

Grade
Story A-
Art C+

DC Comics

Green Lantern Corps #2
Team
Peter J. Tomasi - Writer
Fernando Pasarin - Penciler
Scott Hanna - Inker
Gabe Eltaeb - Colorist
Cover - Dave Johnson

Let's start once again with the cover. The story going on is riveting, however the coloring of it would not grab my attention. If I was not already a GL fan and this was something to pick up, I would most likely pass it by. The coloring of it just looked very bland and uninviting, almost as if it was colored by cheap colored pencils

However, once you open the book, it looks exactly like a Green Lantern book should look. The art is absolutely beautiful. I could look at it all day.

The story is progressing better than issue one but I still feel like it is not there yet, but I really think it will be by the time this story arc is over.

It does feel a bit like I am caring less about the two earth Green Lanterns of this title(Guy Gardner and John Stewart) and care more about the group as a whole. I feel like this is a good sign as this should give a spotlight to the whole Green Lantern Corps, not just the ones from Earth.

The story is progressing as a lot of action is taking place and a lot of emotions from the deaths of entire planets are really moving everything forward

I still have a lot of hope for this title.

Grade
Story C+
Art A+

Catwoman #2
Team
Judd Winick - Writer
Guillem March - Art and Cover
Tomeu Morey - Colorist

I don't even want to begin to think about the backlash of this title. First 2 pages of this comic is a very sexy continuation of the last few pages of issue 1. I do not feel that it is at all inappropriate or out of character. I know that people will be offended but I feel it very comfortably walks the line between appropriate and offensive. But I know that is just opinion.

If you are reading this just for the sex factor, you are missing out on a lot. the story line is intense. By the end of this issue, my jaw dropped like I had just been punched in the face. I did not see what was coming at all.

There is a lot of Batman in this book. I do wonder if this will be a trend forever or if he will be slipping in and out through different storylines.

This book is so good that I won't spoil anything. Please go buy this book! I will probably buy a second copy so I can just pass one around. Yes, it is that good.

Grade
Story A++++++++++++
Art A-

Justice League #2
Team
Geoff Johns - Writer
Jim Lee - Art
Scott Williams - Inker
Alex Sinclair - Colorist

Just like issue one, this is a fun book. It is not one of my favorites but not because there is anything wrong with it. I actually like it. I just kind of want all of the introductions to be over so we are not on the whole 5 years earlier timeline.

I feel like so far, Batman is the star of this book. He has so much to prove considering all of the Superpowered guys are basically pulling their pants down to have a powers pissing contest, and Batman has none. He is still slowly earning the most respect of the group so far.

So far, we now have Green Lantern, Batman, Superman and now Flash. We also have the beginnings of Cyborg as a "tragic accident has just taken place" (I know, sound a little familiar?). We should see him in action soon, but he will most likely be the last permanent member of the team to really take his place. Next issue we will see Wonder Woman show up, or so it was promised on the last page.

I am more excited to see how they change up Darkseid than anything else right now on this book.

Grade
Story B-
Art A-

Nightwing #2
Team
Kyle Higgins - Writer
Eddy Barrows - Pencils
Rod Reis - Colorist

After the last issue, this had a very high amount of anticipation for me. It really did deliver until the end honestly. I still enjoyed it and will continue to pick it up but I felt a bit let down

So let's go back a little bit, this picked up right where the last issue dropped us last month. Nightwing is fighting the new villain that we learn has the name of Saiko. Their fight goes to basically a stalemate. Dick then gets summoned to see the owner of the circus that his parents were killed in. The owner reveals to him that he is dying but he wants to give him ownership of the circus. He also reveals that he knows that he is Nightwing.

Saiko ends up torturing the circus owner after dick leaves and he also finds out his secret identity.

Long story short, Saiko is now apparently "dead" and it looks like dick will be traveling with the circus as the owner.. I don't know what I think about this yet. I will be very disappointed if Saiko is actually dead because I think he is interesting and would like to see a lot more about him

Grade
Story - B
Art - A

Red Hood and the Outlaws #2
Team
Scott Lobdell - Writer
Kenneth Rocafort - Art
Blond - Colorist

I honestly don't know what to say about this title. It is not without its very cool points. I find Jason Todd to be a very interesting character. I think there is a lot of potential there. I haven't found much connection with Roy (speedy, Red Arrow) and feel that he may be just too much of a goof to be very interesting. There is a fine line between comic releafe and a funny and exciting hero or anti-hero.

This may be on the chopping block soon unfortunatly as I feel the storylines are not holding my attention enough to really care about the book enough

Grade
Story C
Art B+

Young Justice #9
Team
Kevin Hopps - Writer
Greg Weisman - Writer
Christopher Jones - Penciller
Dan Davis - Inking
Zac Atkinson - Colorist

This wasn't the best book of this series. It is really good for an all ages book but it does feel like it drags on and on a bit.

The story goes with Captain Atom (Dr Manhattan anyone?) sends the team to try to figure out who framed Captain Nathaniel Adams in 1968

Grade
Story C
Art C

No comments:

Post a Comment