Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Comic Reviews for October 26, 2011

So I Have 13 books this week and I have decided that I really need to whittle some of them down. You should see my lists get a bit smaller and more manageable in the future. This week I dropped Flash, Batman the Dark Knight and I Vampire.

The competition for new books is getting more fierce because the books keep getting better... That is a great problem to have




Dynamite Entertainment

A Game of Thrones #2
Writer - George R. R Martin
Art - Tommy Abraham

So to be fair, I am considering dropping this book. Not because it is not great, because it is, but I think this may read a whole lot better as a whole collection as a Graphic Novel.

The art once again lends itself well to such an epic tale.

Although this will most likely be my last issue, I think the wait will be a better choice for me..Perhaps if I had read the books or watched the show I would read it monthly but I need the story all at once I think.

Writing A+
Art A+

Vampirella #11
Writer - Brandon Jerwa
Art - Johnny Desjardins

So I loved the story, I hated the art. It is not that it was bad, it just was not the look I like from the Vampirella titles.

I really enjoy that the writers are using more of Sophia as an integral part of the team and not just as a tag along.

The undercurrent really felt like a message on the cruelty of men that will use religion to control others.

Writing - A
Art - C



Vampirella and the Scarlet Legion #5
Writer - Joe Harris
Art - Jose Malaga

This is the way a Vampirella book should look!

It was a very nice wrap up to the Scarlet Legion story arc for sure. It was dark and a mostly not happy ending, but that is what I like in Vampirella. Now I just have to wonder if this title goes away

Writing - B
Art - A









Marvel Comics

The Incredible Hulk #1
Writer - Jason Aaron
Pencils - Marc Silvestri
Colorist - Sunny Gho

So I have always wanted to get into the Hulk, so when I saw that they will begining this title back at #1, I got really excited to pick it up. What I feel like I got was a weird Conan the Barbarian

Now I don't know if I am just not immersed enough in the Hulk mythos, but I don't know if I like this at all.

I mean I understand where the story is going, however the separation of Dr. Banner and the Hulk may just be a bit too much for me to swallow.

I can't say there is anything wrong with this title, I just don't feel like it is my cup of tea


Writing - C-
Art - C

Deadpool #45
Writer - Daniel Way
Art - Salva Espin

"What is evil Deadpool" is the title. Evil Deadpool was pieced together by Deadpools stalker from the last few issues. It is very hard for me to put into words the difference between the two. Perhaps it is normal Deadpool kind of knows where to stop.

We are now back to the States in this issue which puts the whole UK nonsense behind us.

This is such a fun title. Between this and Deadpool Max, I will be sticking with this one I think. I love the art and I am a bit more invested in the storyline.

Not a whole lot of separate plot points happen so there is not a lot to put, but this is a book you just jump on to enjoy the ride


Writing A-
Art - A-

Venom #8
Writer - Rick Remender
Art - Tom Fowler

I do not like when an event (Spider Island) invades my titles so I have no real idea what is going on. It has noting to do with the story I have been following.

I really have nothing to say on this issue. I'm not in love with the art and if it is Spider Island again next month, I will not be picking this up.

I am not saying anything bad about the Spider Island event, but I have paid no attention to it so therefore I have no interest in it taking over my books

I won't be giving this a grade because I don't feel it is fair to grade something I have just been dropped in the middle of

Writing - N/A
Art - C



Daredevil #5
Writer - Mark Waid
Art - Marcos Martin

This is a title that I do love right now.

I have never really been into Daredevil before this run but it is fun, the way comics are really supposed to be.

There is a great supporting cast that does not shine so bright that they are your focus but they are interesting enough that you actually do care.



Writing A
Art B-




Image Comics



Avengelyne #4
Writer - Mark Poulton
Art - Own Gieni

The Hand Of God Part 1 of 3

So after a very successful(IMHO) last story arc, we start the second Arc of the series.

This arc is starting out even stronger than the last. It is not so much of the gratuitous violence just for the sake of shock value. There is callbacks to the last arc as Avengelyne and the stripper we met named Heaven are now friends. Ned Crowley, the serial killer is also briefly mentioned in passing.

We also have a new Spirit of Vengeance in the form of Father Michael. He will be a very interesting character indeed. We spend a lot of time with Passover. I look forward to seeing what a Bad Ass he can be.


Writing - A
Art - A


DC Comics

Green Lantern New Guardians #2
Writer - Tony Bedhard
Art - Tyler Kirkham and Harvey Tolibao
Ink - Batt
Colorist - Nei Ruffino

All I can say to start out is that this is so much better than last issue. Where last issue felt a bit too compressed and maybe even a bit dry, this felt very well paced and full of intrigue.

We start where we ended last issue with members of all of the different Lantern Corps (except Orange) getting ready to destroy Kyle Rainer for "stealing" a ring from each Corp. After a bunch or action, Kyle and a Blue Lantern, Saint Walker, finally escape towards Oa to try to get some answers from the Guardians, with all of the rings following him.

Of course there will be a big explosion of action next issue as all the others are following.

We then learn that Ganthet has been basically been lobotomized by the the other Guardians and all of his emotions have been wiped from existence( See Green Lantern #1) I love that they are making these books intertwined a bit. It makes it very exciting for me personally.

Finally we get to see all of the rings basically attach themselves to Kyle's fingers. What comes of Kyle is a Hybrid of all of the rings and I think will make him the most powerful Lantern of all. Again that is speculation but this is very cool.

I am really enjoying this book and am so glad it is part of the Green Lantern Family of books and I am dying to see what happens next.


Writing - A
Art - A-

Teen Titans #2
Writer - Scott Lobdell
Art - Brett Booth

This is a fun title and such a great jumping on point to Teen Titans. I have never really been into Teen Titans mostly because it was so steeped in it own mythos that I really could not follow it.

I am loving this because, like Justice League, they are really taking their time introducing the characters and letting us get to know them. We are in issue 2 and we still haven't met the whole team yet. It will be even longer till we see them all actually come together as a team.

I know last time I reviewed #1, I had complaints about Bart Allen, AKA Kid Flash, but he has really started to grow on me. Now that I am getting to know the characters, I am starting to like them all a lot more.

I wasn't a Red Robin fan in the old universe but now I like him every bit as much as Nightwing or Damian.

I really like the art in this as well. I can look at it all day


Writing - A
Art - A

All Star Western #2
Writer - Jimmy Palmiotti
Art - Justin Gray

I want to make 1 thing 100% clear.........Jonah Hex is a Bad Ass MF'er.

Half of this book is beyond fun. The second half is another story with a Zorro Knock off that I could care less about.

Lets start with the good. The Jonah Hex stuff is just bad ass. It doesn't matter that this is set in the old West, it still feels relevant. If it had a soundtrack, it would be pure screaming guitars and metal. The story is great. Still not in love with the art but it fits the story well.

Here comes the Bad.... They decided to add an entire second story that I found to be very thrown together and will most likely skip in future issues. Because of this filler story, they charge $3.99 instead of the standard $2.99. That will not do. I hope that DC gets the message because I would hate to lose Jonah Hex.

Story - A first story / D second story
Art B- First Story/ B+ second story

Justice League Dark #2
Writer - Peter Milligan
Art - Mikel Janin

So I will go ahead and say it....I like this title way more than I like the regular Justice League title. The only negative thing that I can really say about it is that there is almost too much going on.

I would almost definitely put this in my top 10 favorite books.

The relationship between Dawn(Dove) and Deadman has me totally sucked in and caring about these characters I normally would not give a second glance.

When dealing with Magical characters in the DCU, it really feels like you are dealing with people on the brink of being completely crazy. It makes them very intriguing to me.

Writing A
Art B+


Zenescope Comics

Fly #5
Writer - Raven Gregory
Art - Eric J

This is supposedly the end of this book as a story arc, but it really did still leave as a cliff hanger.

Once again this follows our characters into the depravity of their addictions. At the end we see the character Danielle supposedly die from taking an unknown treatment for her addiction that was supposed to take her powers away.

This book definitely walks the line between preachy and entertaining very nicely. The art is absolutely beautiful and really takes you into the story

Writing B-
Art A+

No comments:

Post a Comment