Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Comic Reviews for November 30, 2011













IMAGE COMICS

Avengelyne #5
Team
Writer - Mark Poulton
Art/Colors - Owen Gieni

THE HAND OF GOD PART 2 OF 3

Not as good as the last issues but still a fun book.

I really like the character development that we have seen with Father Michael. The foreshadowing of the last issue has really paid off in a great way this issue. I am curious on how far they are willing to take him.

I was not pleased with how they have seemingly dumbed down Avengelyne. It was really not appealing to the character at all in my opinion.

Still a great book and I am sticking with it


Grade
Story - B-
Art - A-


Bomb Queen - All Girl Special One Shot
Team
Writer/Art - Jimmie Robinson
Colorist - Paul Little

This was suggested to me from one of the employees at the comic store I go to based on my love of the Kick-Ass series. I have never heard of it at all, but there seems to have had quite a run. There are 7 trade paperbacks from the series I believe.

I have no idea how anyone is into this. Usually when I read a new book, if I don't really like it, I will at first chalk it up to not understanding how everything works in the universe that I have just jumped into....Not this one. I mean, really, I get it. I just really don't like it.

It feels so completely over the top. From the heroes and villains(one of them literally has a super power of diamond hard nipples......Yes you read that right) to the very blatant political bias, this just felt like such a horrendous waste of my time.


Grade
Story - D-
Art - B



DC NATION COMICS

Green Lantern The Animated Series #0
Team
Writer - Art Baltazar & Franco
Art - Dario Brizuela
Colorist - Gabe Eltaeb

This feels very similar to the Young Justice title...Everything from the art to the story that weaves in and out of the series..So I of course have no complaints with the format.

This is an all ages comic that is completely out of cannon. I see that the DC Nation imprint are putting out several titles with this format which include, Shazam, Batman Adventure, Justice League unlimited, Justice League Adventures, and it is continuing Batman Brave and the Bold, Tiny Titans and Young Justice. I think this is such a good thing. If they put forget about the kids, who continues the comic tradition later?

Anyways, back to the subject at hand....I actually like the inside artwork more than I like the TV show. 2 negatives that irritate me a bit, and I understand that this book doesn't count but.... As of yet, there are no human Red Lanterns. They also have free thought unlike the main series. I also feel that some sections of the book may be a bit too confusing for a lot of younger readers. We shall see after I let my kids read this.

All in all I think this was a great effort that hopefully keeps around for a while


Grade
Story - B
Art - B




DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

George R. R. Martin
Game Of Thrones #3
Team
Writer - George R. R. Martin
Art - Tommy Patterson
Colorist - Ivan Nunes

I know that I said I was going to wait to buy any more of these until the trade paperbacks came out.....yeah, that just did not work out as well as I had planned.

The books are very very good and I just don't want to wait a year or so to read them.

I think that I am starting to figure out what is going on a little bit more, and perhaps I will soon be immersed enough into this little universe that I will have everything.

The art alone is good enough to keep reading


Grade
Story B
Art A+




MARVEL COMICS

Wolverine #19
Team
Writer - Jason Aaron
Art - Ron Garney
Colorist - Jason Keith

"GOODBYE CHINATOWN PART 3"

This book was so good that I literally had to stop myself from immediately going back to the first page and re-reading it.

This is the finale of the Chinatown story arc. If you haven't jumped on this title, hey, it's time to jump on.

I could see at least a couple of spin off series, or mini-series that I would like to see happen, although I know it is wishful thinking. They talked a little bit about how the Dragons inside of the earth have several factions and races that are at war with each other. That I would pay to read. I would also like to see what happens when Fat Cobra takes over as Black Dragon.. Not for a really long time but definitely as a Mini.

Looks like Logan will have even more connection to the Daily Bugle and Spiderman because his girlfriend is now working there.

Lots of seeds planted, can't wait to see what happens next


Grade
Story - A
Art - B

Ghostrider #6
Team
Writer - Rob Williams
Art - Dalibor Talajic
Colorist - Rob Swager

So, from what I understand, Marvel has cancelled Ghostrider(or at least this incarnation) as of this issue, due to very poor sales figures. I am sure it will be back by next year with Johnny Blaze back in the saddle, before the new Ghostrider movie hits this summer. I really don't think that people were able to swallow a female in the role. I think it may have just been a bad idea.

I would not call this a satisfying end to this book, but at least it did not leave anything up in the air.

This felt like one of the weaker stories so far. Although I will miss the character until he comes back, I think that Marvel did the right thing pulling the plug. If they want to lose Johnny Blaze, do it in the Ultimate Universe, like they did to Spiderman.


Grade
Story C-
Art C

Daredevil #6
Team
Writer - Mark Waid
Artist - Marcos Martin
Colorist - Muntsa Vicente

"DAREDEVIL VS BRUISER"

Another fun title from Daredevil. Most if it was just a fight between Daredevil and Bruiser, like the title promised.

Nothing really too new happened, but that is OK. It is just a title that leaves you entertained and happy. Not something that you would be used to if you had been a reader of DD in the past. I like it though.

Grade
Story B
Art B

No comments:

Post a Comment