Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Comic Reviews for November 23, 2011








Just a little FYI for all of my loyal readers and friends. This week is actually going to be a mix of some of last weeks books intertwined with this weeks books. Last week was such a heavy reading week that I ended up putting some of them back on the shelf for this week because it was a smaller week this week.

There will be a few other changes happening in the next month that I shall keep you all posted about.


Icon Entertainment

Kick-Ass 2 #5
Team
Writers - Mark Millar
Art - John Romita Jr
Inker - Tom Palmer
Colorist - Dean White/Michael Kelleher

"DEATH BY COSPLAY"

What the hell else can they do to poor Dave? He has been beaten severely, shot, stabbed, been electrocuted by his balls, last issue his dad was sent to jail by taking the wrap for him.....Now this issue his identity is exposed and put out over Twitter, his dad is murdered in jail, the picture of his dads dead body is put out over the Internet and it goes viral, and finally when he goes to his fathers funeral, the M Fers blew up his casket, starting shooting up the place and kidnaps Dave.

However, we do have some good news..........HIT GIRL IS BACK!!!!! And she is pissed. The last page almost gave me chills.

I am also really liking how they are starting to set up MFer(formerly Red Mist) up for a severe hurting. You discover that he has been actually protected by the police, but now that will be coming to a screeching halt. I want him to die painfully at this point. Millar has done such a good job of turning him from a goofy stoner with daddy issues, into a truly evil POS that it is fun to hate

I know this comic is a lot of peoples guilty pleasure, and you don't have to admit that you mark out to the gratuitous violence, but I will admit it proudly. This book just gets better and better. I really hope that Mark Millar gets inspired to write a Kick-Ass 3 after this story wraps.

Grade
Writing - A++++++++
Art - A+


DC Comics

Green Lantern New Guardians #3
Team
Writer - Tony Bedard
Art - Tyler Kirkham/Harvey Tolibao
Inker - Batt
Colorist - Nei Ruffino

"PART THREE"

The first few pages of this were just amazing...But unfortunately that was just not meant to last.

As you may remember from last issue, Kyle ended up wearing every ring at the same time. Then he just started messing up all of the guardians. This goes on for a while till the rings start to disengage themselves. No non immortal could ever hope to harness all of this power. All of the rings end up disappearing except for two. The green ring, which no one could get off of Kyles finger and the Orange ring.

We discover that the Orange ring is not the Orange ring at all but just a Construct from the Orange Lantern. We discover that Orange Ring Constructs are sentient and can actually think for themselves.

Then we get the one thing that everyone that has been following all of the spectrum corps for a while have been wanting to see.....Larfleeze is back baby!

I really want to read the next few issues together because I feel like these issues are never long enough. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing right now.

Grade
Writing B+
Art A

All Star Western
Team
Writer - Justin Gray
Art - Jimmy Palmiotti

"GUNS. GORE. GOTHAM."

I am giving this one more week. I still am kind of liking the Jonah Hex stuff, but the other story, El Diablo, feels like such a waste of my time.

I am becoming less and less interested in it. I really want it to succeed and live up to it's potential, but I am quickly losing faith.

I am also liking the art less and less

Two more issues left to improve till I call it quits .

Grade
Story - C-
Art - D

Justice League Dark #3
Team
Writer - Peter Milligan
Art - Mikel Janin
Colorist - Ulises Arreola

"SHIBBOLETHS AND ALCOHOL"

Once again there is so much going on here. There are so many stories going on here at the same time, yet they all feel very complex and well thought out.

I am actually taking a lot of interest in Deadman. He is such a dick. I like him.

I have such little experience with all of the characters that it can be a little difficult to follow this at times. However, I really enjoy trying to figure it all out.

I love the art in this title. Just beautiful

Grade
Story - A-
Art - A+

Teen Titans #3
Team
Writer - Scott Lobdell
Pencils - Brett Booth
Inker - Norm Rapmund
Colorist - Andrew Dalhouse

"BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY"

Another really great issue for Teen Titans. I am so glad I jumped on this book when I did at the relaunch.

We get a really good look at two of our new team. Bunker, a Christian gay Mexican that can build stuff with his mind all made out of purple (stereotype much?) and Solstice. Not really sure about Solstice's powers yet, but she can read minds and fly.

Red Robin's wings are one of the coolest things I have seen in a comic book honestly.

I am still liking Kid Flash more and more since my rough first impression of him in the first issue. Hope they change his uniform soon.

I am really looking forward to seeing more about this Skitter character.

Grade
Story A-
Art - A

Red Hood and the Outlaws #3
Team
Writer - Scott Lobdell
Art - Kenneth Rocafort
Colorist - Blond

"CHERISH IS THE WORD I USE -TO DESTROY YOU"

I almost didn't pick this one up. I went in with every intention to cancel this off of my pull list and never read it again, I just forgot to pull it out and say I didn't want it... Lucky.

This one came out of nowhere and really floored me.

There was really 2 stories going on. The main story shows our 3 anti-heroes going into a strange place to retrieve a clue...It looked like it was pulled out of the Sandman universe.So much so that I thought we would be getting a cameo(didn't happen..bummer)

The second story had the gatekeeper going though their most treasured memory. Red Hoods memory was when he was Robin. He was sick and Bruce and Alfred would not let him go out on patrol. Jason sits in front of the TV and sulks. Bruce then comes back in, still wearing his batsuit, sits next to him and lets him fall asleep as they are watching TV together.

Who were the bastards that voted to kill him in the 90s?

Grade
Story - A
Art - B+

Voodoo #3
Team
Writer - Ron Marz
Art - Sami Basri
Colorist - Jessica Kholinne

"INTO THE LIGHT"

I have never read this title, or had any interest in it at all. But on the cover it said those magic words.....Vs. Green Lantern

Dammit dammit dammit!

I like this book. Unfortunately I have too many on my pull list...So unless I win the lottery, I will be waiting for this book in trades. That is the other bad news. DC seems to be waiting about a year to put out trades with the new 52.

Do yourself a favor, unless you can swing another book, do not buy this. It is way to interesting. Hopefully I can start pulling the back issues when there is a sale.

Grade
Story - A
Art - A


Boundless Comics

War Goddess #3
Team
Writer - Mike Wolfer
Art - Pow Rodrix
Colors - Digikore Studios

As usual, this is fairly good storytelling, but the real star of this book is the art. It is everything I love about comic book art. Maybe it is way too gory for art I would hang on my walls but it is, in my very humble opinion, perfect Comic art.

The writers are, quite honestly pervs. Love gore and have a very dark sense of humor. I never said I don't love it. Perhaps I relate a little too much....LOL (wow, did I really just LOL in a blog. Sorry, I will try my best to never let it happen again.)

This is a fun title. True, it my be offensive to some people, but its just a comic book. Of course it is not for children, but if you were to buy, or let your child buy this comic after seeing the cover, it is time to be a parent and start figuring some stuff out..

Anyways, I will get off my soapbox. This book would have to put out some seriously horrible stories to get me to jump off. I am in!

Grade
Story B-
Art - A+++++++++++++


Boom! Studios

Ron Paul Decision 2012
Team
Writer - Jeffrey Spokes
Artist - Dean Kotz
Colorist - Lisa Moore

Boom! is doing a line of comics for this election, telling you about the candidates. They include, Obama, Paul, Huntsman, Cain, Bachmann, Palin, Romney and Perry (WTF. Where is Gingrich?)
This is an interesting concept.

Now if you know me, you know I am actually a huge supporter of Ron Paul, so I was excited when I say this on the shelves.

To start, it wasn't the most exciting thing that I have ever read, but it wasn't bad at all. The art, on the other hand, was really poor.

This is a great campaign tool, and might have to get my hands on all of these issues of all of the candidates.

I like that this book was not colored to make anyone look particularly better, or to trash other candidates.

Hopefully, these may help people actually get more informed decisions and motivate people to vote, no matter who they choose.

Grade
Story- Really not applicable
Art - D

Marvel Comics

Venom #9
Team
Writer - Rick Remender
Artist - Stefano Caselli
Colorist - Frank Martin Jr

"CAPITAL PUNISHMENT"

My first impression is that the art seems to have taken a huge turn for the better. Venom is looking a bit more like the Punisher now.

In the beginning, it looks like the Symbiot has taken complete control of Flash in his anger of seeing a tank kill a mother and small child.

He finds the guy, tortures him, then kills him. I really like to see characters that will do this. It rarely happens in the DC universe like that, but it needed to happen.

This book felt way too short. It felt like it was about 10 pages long. Just went way too fast. This book is quickly moving back up to the top of my stack

Grade
Writing - A
Art - A


Avenging Spiderman #1
Team
Writer - Zeb Wells
Artist - Joe Madureira
Colorist - Ferran Daniel

So Avenging Spiderman will be a team up book. Apparently he will be teaming with someone new every few issues. This issue it is Spidey teaming up with Red Hulk. Honestly, I know nothing about Red Hulk, but I would like to after reading this. He seems very intriguing to me.
I realized how far from the Spider Universe I am. J.Jonah Jamison is a Mayor or something? WTF? I really should catch up on some of this.. Anyone wanna fill me in?

I usually don't like the sketch-y type line work, but it is not too much and fits the book.

This also comes with a free digital copy of the book. That is the only way Marvel or DC should be charging 4 bucks for a book. But that may just be me.

I think I'll be sticking with this title

Grade
Writing B+
Art - A-







No comments:

Post a Comment