Thursday, November 17, 2011

Comic Reviews for November 16, 2011

We have a few issues that will be put off till next week. They are Venom 8 , Goddess of War 3, and Red hood and the Outlaws 3.







DC Comics

Green Lantern Corps #3
Team
Writer - Peter J. Tomasi
Pencils - Gerald Borges
Inker - Scott Hanna
Colorist - Gabe Eltaeb

"Force of Will"

The cover was absolutely beautiful to start with.

This book feels a lot more interesting to me than the last two issues of this title. As it goes, I am beginning to care a lot less about Guy and John, our two earth lanterns, and caring more about the Corp in general. It feels a lot more like a team book that a GL book starring Guy and John. It just feels good all the way around

It is a great cliffhanger ending, which is kind of the point a great serial comic in my opinion. I personally don't see how they are going to get out of this situation without a lot of fatalities. I definitely want to see where they take this.

I am finally interested in the bad guys in this book. It has felt very bland to me but now, with the discovery that they are supercharged with Will, it feels a lot cooler. I want to know who and how this happened. It makes me wonder if they are the new creation of the Guardians that was mentioned in Green Lantern #3. Possible but I just don't know.

I am more interested in getting to know more about a few of the characters that we got semi acquainted with this issue, namely Sheriff and Porter(if he is not dead).


Grade
Story - A
Art - A

Catwoman #3
Team
Writer - Judd Winnick
Artist - Guillem March
Colorist - Tomeu Morey

"No one can find any piece of me here"

The cover here looks just great. It really sets the tone for what you might expect after last issue when Selina's closest friend is brutally murdered. You just know she is going to go out with a vengeance and mess some stuff up.

This again does not disappoint. A lot less of the sexualized nature in this issue, but it would have felt out of place if it would have been thrown in.

Again a great cliff hanger. it looks like she may be finally caught. In her grief, she is letting her instincts slip. I hope it will be explored a bit in the next few issues so that it can lay the groundwork for things to haunt her for a very long run.....but that may just be me.

Batman seems to be a constant feature in this book and gets a lot of panel time. At first, it was kind of bothering me but because I have dropped most of the Batman books except for Batman & Robin, I don't feel like I am burnt out on him anymore. I think it is just enough of him honestly


Grade
Story - A+
Art - B+

Nightwing #3
Team
Writer - Kyle Higgins
Pencils - Eddy Barrows/Eduardo Pansica
Inker- JP Mayer/Paulo Siqueira/Eber Ferreira
Colorist - Rod Reis/ Allen Passalaqua

"Past and Present"

Well to start with, I have a negative. The art, while it is good, is jarring because of the amounts of artist working on this book. You can see where the artists change. It took me out of the story quite a bit unfortunately.

The story is still going very well. I am very glad that they did not end up killing Saiko because I think he will be a great recurring villain. I am uber interested in what his story is. A lot of potential there I think.

There is a lot more of Dick confronting his past. While it is interesting for now, I hope that it does not continue past past this arc, because the past can only go so far.

I don't see Dick keeping the Circus after this story arc. We shall see.

Grade
Story - B-
Art - C

Justice League #3
Team
Writer - Geoff Johns
Pencils - Jim Lee
Inker - Scott Williams
Colorist - Alex Sinclair/Gabe Eltaeb

"Part Three"

Another Great Justice League Cover. A little bit from everyone on the team that we have so far been introduced to. A little too busy perhaps but still very nice to look at with plenty of "curb appeal"

The art is always stunning in these Justice League books. I would almost say that it is the best art in the DC Universe.

I have not ended up picking up the Wonder Woman book since the relaunch...or ever really, but if she is written the way she is written in this book, it would be worth checking out. I really like her attitude and just general look and feel.

I have just been ok with this book so far and I have not understood why people are so enamored with this title. After this issue, I do understand. I am still not super excited that this book is $3.99 , not at the "drawing the line and $2.99" that DC was so amped on not too long ago. Now that I have seen this book at this level, I will not complain. However, if it drops with the excitement that it has set the bar with on this issue, it will be on the chopping block. I hope DC does something about it.

They are really pushing Cyborgs origin in this book. Honestly it is getting exciting for me.

I actually did like the appearance or Aquaman as well. Never really been a fan of his but he just stuck me a very cool and his moment of appearance was great.

I like how some of the relationships are already forming in the team. Batman, of course, seems like he will have the most conflict so far.

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A+++++

Young Justice #10
Team
Writer - Kevin Hopps/ Greg Weisman
Pencils -Christopher A Jones
Inker - Dan Davis
Colorist - Zac Atkinson

"Hot Case"

I am so loving the TV storyline. I really wish the book was caught up to where it is on TV. I know that is not logistically possible but..... I am sure it will catch up after the TV season ends.

I am kind of neutral on this title with this and the last issues. I am not so in love with this title like I used to......however this gets to stay on my safe list because all three of my kids fight over who get to read it next.

Perhaps I just really don't like captain Atom. I know it will be featuring him once again next month, but hopefully after that it will get its magic back for me

Grade
Story - C-
Art B+



Dynamite

The Bionic Man #4
Team
Writer- Kevin Smith/Phil Hester
Art - Jonathan Lau
Colorist - Ivan Nunes

"Transformation"

To start with, this had the most fantastic way of explaining exactly what Steve Austins powers are without being cheezy at all.

This is such a fun comic. Lots of references to the original TV show, but not done in a campy way.

My only negative is that in the last two issues, there has been no references to the big bad. Yes it is nice not to be spoon fed, but it may be forgotten if there is not a small reminder up soon.

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A-



Marvel Comics

Captain America #4
Team
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Pencils - Steve McNiven
Inker - Jay Leisten
Colorist - Justin Ponsor

"American Dreams Part 4"

I was a bit worried that this book had been canceled, but it turns out that it just missed a week. Hopefully that will not be the norm.

I am loving the cover. It was great visually. Very nice reference to the Capt America of the past when he was chained to a bomb, being a hero.

Because of the wait between books, I felt very lost when I started. I am not a big fan of the matrix/inception type story lines, but this has not been too bad. I am still enjoying the title a lot as well as the character. This Arc will be ending after the next issue so I am wondering where they will be going with this title.

Not as excited as I once was with this title. I hope it turns around soon

Grade
Writing - C
Art - C

Punisher #5
Team
Writer - Greg Rucka
Artist - Marco Checchetto
Colorist - Matt Hollingsworth

"After 100 Days"

The cover was absolutely beautiful. You have Frank Castle sitting in the rain, looking at his reflection that is him in his Marine uniform. It could be a poster

Frank Castle looks beyond cool when he sports a beard. Just a FYI.

I am enjoying this book more than any of the last books from this title. It was much more engaging. While it is nice to see the Punisher go out and just mess stuff up, I like to see what is going on in his universe and finding characters I actually care about.

This was a great book from the first page to the last.

Grade
Story - A-
Art - B+

Deadpool #46
Team
Writer - Daniel Way
Artist - Salva Espin

"Evil Deadpool Part 2, Come Get Some"

What a fantastic issue. Deadpool finally comes face to face with Evil(er) Deadpool. This has got to be twisting Wade's schizophrenic psyche into tapioca pudding. I have been laughing my ass off.
And then to make it even better, here comes Captain America to really make a mess of it all.

Grade
Story - A
Art - A

No comments:

Post a Comment