Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Comic Reviews for December 7, 2011





Dynamite Comics

Vampirella Annual #1
Team
Writer - Brandon Jerwa
Art - Eman Casalos
Colorist - Ivan Nunes

This 100 page book actually had 2 different stories. The second one was kind of lightharted with no words and had Vampirella protecting a baby while priests and nuns fight Vampires around them... Yeah, that was just a filler story.

The first story was actually really good. No Sophia this time but that is ok. It was a standard Vampirella story with standard Vampirella art, which means that it is far better than 95% of everything else that is usually put out.

It was a $4.99 book, but seeing the length of the book and the quality of it was completely worth it.

Grade
Story - A
Art - A







Image Comics

Spawn #214
Team
Writer - Will Carlton
Art - Szymon Kudranski
Colorist - Fco Plascencia

So I know a lot of people love this book....but it is time for me to call it quits. I recently got my hands on some of the older TPs of Spawn and I think that is the best way to read this book. I will be going all the way back to the beginning so maybe, by next year, I will be caught up completely.

It's not that it is a bad book by any means, I just would rather read this in long form

Grade
Story NA
Art - B


DC Comics

Red Lanterns #4
Team
Writer - Peter Milligan
Art - Ed Benes
Colorist - Nathan Eyring

"THE DEPARTED"

This series has been making a steady climb up in interest to me. While it may have moved a lot slower than I initially wanted, it is starting to pay off a bit to me.

This issue marries some origin stories for some of the Red Lanterns into the main story. From the looks of it, we will be getting out first Red Lantern from Earth coming very soon. I think that a human to sympathise with is exactly what this series may be missing.

I am also liking that Atrocitus is making more of his Corps sentient. It may be rough on the history but it will make for a much better read and more characters to follow.

I am not positive where they are going with the missing corpse of Krona but I will save speculation till after next issue

Grade
Story - B+
Art - B+


Batman Detective Comics #4
Team
Writer/Art - Tony Daniel
Colorist - Sandu Morey

" THE MAIN EVENT"

I have been considering dropping this book and switching to the other Batman book, which I have heard great things about. Mostly because I refuse to have more than 2 Batbooks and Batman & Robin is not leaving my stack because of my fondness for it......Long story short, I will most likely end up buying the other BatMan book in trades.

It was a sort of wrap up of the first arc in this issue, but it was fascinating. I really love the action in it, and that they leave so many unanswered questions in every page. I love that the face of the Joker is still in play. I love the relationship between Batman and Gordon. I love the way that the batman is drawn in this book as well. He is somewhat......Different in this book. I can't quite put it into a reason yet, but I am trying to put my finger on it.

It is a very interesting feel when the same person is the writer and artist of the same story. It is not something that I usually see much

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A

Superman Action Comics #4
Team
Writer - Grant Morrison
Art - Rags Morales
Colorist - Brad Anderson

"SUPERMAN AND THE MEN OF STEEL"

So I feel like the art has changed a lot for the worse. I finished this book and really had no desire to reopen it, and that is a bad sign for me.

This had 2 stories in it. The main ongoing Superman story and a side story that is intertwined about Steel, John Henry.

This book now has 2 issues to win me back or I will be dropping it.

I really didn't like that story. It did have one high point, that the US government is actually asking Superman for help so this may turn everything around


Grade
Story - C+
Art - C


Huntress #3(of 6)
Team
Writer - Paul Levitz
Art - Marcus To
Colorist - Andrew Dalhouse

"CROSSBOW AT THE CROSSROADS"

I do enjoy this book, but I enjoy the art the most. It is really great.

I am having a lot of fun reading this book. I hope they end up giving the Huntress her own book after this mini-series, or at least giving her a team or something to be on

She really is a interesting character



Grade
Story B+
Art - A+


Asylum Press

Chopper #2 of 5
Team
Writer - Martin Shapiro
Art - Juan Ferreyra
Colorist - Chandran Ponnusamy

I don't really have a reason why, but I really like this book. I mean really like it a lot. I know it is preachy, just say no, type propaganda, but at least it is well done.

We are getting to see more of the effects of this super drug that our characters are experimenting with. They are starting to have full blown conversations with ghosts, and the ghosts think that they are dead as well. I know, it sounds weird, you need to read it for yourself to really get the gist of what I am saying.

Another killing by the Headless Hells Angel biker as well.

Grade
Writing - A
Art - A




Marvel Comics

Deadpool #47
Team
Writer - Daniel Way
Art - Salva Espin
Colorist - Guru EFX

"'POOL VS. CAP'"

There is nothing in the whole comic book universe that is more fun than these Deadpool books.

This book picks up where last month left off, with Captain America and Deadpool fighting. Deadpool does get the best of Cap this round.

Evil Deadpool is still pulling all the strings. Being that Deadpool and Evil deadpool are the exact same person, it leads us to ponder that the biggest weakness a hero can have is a conscience.

I love that every plan Wade comes up with is easily manipulated by his evil counterpart. Although that may be a slight problem with the writing. I may be over thinking it, but if they are the same, shouldn't Wade win exactly half of the time?

Grade
Story - B+
Art - A-



Avenging Spiderman #2
Team
Writer - Zeb Wells
Art - Joe Madureira
Colorist - Ferran Daniel

This is still a fun little title. It seems to be such a good introduction to a lot of marvel characters and inside jokes. I understand just enough to get it.

I liked the first issue a bit more but I still liked it quite a bit.

I really don't know if I love Red Hulk or not. He is more interesting than my last experience with the regular (green) Hulk.

I like Spider-Man a lot. Not enough to buy multiple Spider titles but enough that I do want to keep buying this one.

Grade
Story B-
Art - B

The Punisher #6
Team
Writer - Greg Rucka
Art - Matthew Southworth/Matthew Clark
Colorist - Matt Hollingsworth

"THE EXCHANGE"

I finally figured out why you really have to think with this comic...Between all of the killings i mean. Frank Castle shows NO internal Monologue. With how rarely Frank seems to speak, you really do need to kind of guess what is going on with him.

Dear Marvel, Please fix Franks eye already...It must be very infected by now.

There is a bit more of a cliff hanger on this issue. I hope they start doing that a bit more.


Grade
Story - B-
Art - B-

Venom #10
Team
Writer - Rick Remender
Art - Lan Medina
Inker - Nelson Decastro
Colorist - Marte Gracia

"ROAD TRIP PART ONE"

Another issue that renews my faith in the Venom franchise. So glad we are getting past all of the Spider Island nonsense.

Dear Marvel, I love Captain Americas Harley Vrod. It is beyond cool and I want one so bad. Can Marvel Santa bring me one for Christmas?

I am not really in love with Cap in this book. I did prefer him in Deadpool quite a bit more.
Grade
Story - A-
Art - B

No comments:

Post a Comment