Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Comic Reviews for December 14, 2011

This weeks pick of the week is Ghost Rider #7. Yes, the story made that much of a turn around. On a week that had Green Lantern, Suicide Squad and Batman and Robin, Ghost Rider pulled out a shockingly good book that everyone really should go buy right now.

Zenescope Comics

The Theatre #3
Team
Writer - Raven Gregory
Art - Robert Gill/Novo Malgapo
Color - Michael Garcia/Mark Roberts

THE HOLE

Yeah, the hole is a metaphor about anger and leaving your past before it sucks you into you own oblivion...And the other moral of this issue is to not have sex in theatres that are closed or you might explode.

I know you may not be able to tell from my sarcastic tone, but I do really enjoy these books. I know I explain every time I get one of the issues so here is to tradition... The books are all one offs like Grimms Fairytales. Still Enjoyable and fun


Grade
Story - B-
Art -B+




Boundless Comics

War Goddess
Team
Writer - Mike Wolfer
Art - Pow Rodix
Color - Digikore Studios

Although this entire book was just action, it felt slower than the previous issues.

Still fun and enjoyable, but I find it is best to go back and read at least two back issues before you start on the new one.

As always, I love the art on these books. It is my favorite way for a comic to look.

It is getting harder and harder to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Everyone seems to have changed sides a half dozen times.


Grade
Story - C
Art - A+




DC Comics

Green Lantern #4
Team
Writer- Geoff Johns
Art - Doug Mahnke
Colors - Alex Sinclair

SINESTRO PART FOUR

This run of Green Lantern is so good. I don't know how many new readers it has kept since the relaunch, but I hope they have figured out the universe enough to stick with it.

Last issue we left off with Hal Jordan "dying" which I think everyone knew wasn't going to happen.

Both Hal Jordan and Sinestro have been captured and imprisoned by the Sinestro Corps. On a quick side note, it looks like Sinestro is going to stay in the Green for the foreseeable future, so are they going to change the name from the Sinestro Corps to the Yellow Lantern Corps perhaps? or maybe the Fear Corps? Just some ideas, I don't have to get paid for that, just draw me as a Lantern, even if you kill me in one issue.

We see some great character development with Hal. He is stuck in a room and uses ever construct he can fathom, and he runs out of power in his ring. He thinks that he will soon die and asks himself what one last construct he would want to see before he dies, as the last thing he would ever see....He made Carol. It was a great moment for Hal I think.

Sinestro gets put into a cell with his old countrymen who all hate him.

I won't spoil the end, but it is yet another great twist.

No mention of the Guardians and their sick minds in this issue, but it was packed so there was no room for that.

Art as always is great, with one exception, I really don't like the way that Doug Mahnke draws Hal Jordan without his mask and other GL gear. No Complaints other than that

Grade
Story A
Art - B-


Suicide Squad #4
Team
Writer - Adam Glass
Art - Frederico Dallocchio
Color - Val Staples

BAD COMPANY

Love, love love this book. If this title was a person, I would want to have sex with it.

Harley Quinn is very quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in all of comics. She is so much fun. There was a very nice seed planted for next issue, because her fail safe bomb has been deactivated.

We have gotten rid of the douche that we call Captain Boomerang. It turns out that he never had a trigger to detonate the team after all. Just a toy so that he would feel like he was in control.

I will actually be making a very bold statement about this book....I went back last night and read Secret Six #24-36 and as much as I loved that run, , I like Suicide Squad even better. I want to see if they will take this as deep as they took the Secret Six.


Grade
Story - A+
Art - B+



Batman And Robin #4
Team
Writer -Peter J Tomasi
Art - Patrick Gleason
Color - John Kaliz

MATTER OF TRUST

Yep, still my favorite Batman book out there.

This is such a different side of Bruce to see. It is weird to see him a father, not just a mentor. If he can't figure out how to get this all straightened out, the consequences will be dire to Damian.

At first glance, Damian my seem like nothing more than a Jason Todd knock off, but I think there is something much more. The writers could end up making him one of the most evil characters in the DCU, or he could be the greatest leader and force for good since Bruce himself. There will be a lot more twists in his path until we have an answer of where he will end up


Grade
Story - B
Art - B



Batgirl #4
Team
Writer -Gail Simone
Art -Ardian Syaf
Color - Ulises Arreola

THE END OF DREAMS

Ah, the first of the Christmas issues in the new 52. Something tells me this may be pretty much it.

This was a very fitting end to the Mirror Arc. I do hope we get to see him again, and he has been saved so we may eventually.

The two best parts of this was the cliffhanger at the end that will be bringing us into the next story arc and the beginning where Barbra and Batgirl are talking to each other in a dream.

What do you think the "big secret" her roommate was about to share before Barbra flipped out? I think it will be a big deal eventually


Grade
Story - A
Art - A-




Marvel Comics

Ghost Rider #7
Team
Writer -Rob Williams
Art - Lee Garbett
Color - Rob Schwager


Wow, seven issues into this run and finally an issue that I absolutely love. Still waiting for the ax to fall on this title, which I thought last issue was the last one. If every issue was as good as this one, it would be outsell the DC new 52......or at least both of the Deadpool titles and maybe even Wolverine.

This was absolutely hilarious. The art was great, the guest appearances were well thought out and fun, the story was engaging and it had a great cliffhanger(please Marvel, if you are cancelling this, let me make it through this arc)

Johnny Blaze is playing a very important part of the story, and you even start to care a bit more about the new Ghost Rider, Alejandra. I even liked the role that Hawkeye played

Grade
Story - A+
Art -A


Dark Horse Comics

Orchid #3
Team
Writer -Tom Morello
Art - Scott Hepburn
Color - Dan Jackson

To start with, I am not a big fan of the free music download to listen to, however, it does make for a great background noise when you are reading.

At last this book is beginning to get exciting and is growing into the potential that I initially saw in this title when I first picked it up.

This issue goes into the history of the mask that there has been so much mention of in the last two issues.

Still am not in love with any of the characters, however, several of them are starting to grow on me a lot. I think I will end up reading all 3 first issues the day before the next issue comes out. I feel like that may be what this title really needs.

The art felt a bit weaker in this issues in a lot of the panels than the last few issues. I hope they are not just trading good art for better storytelling

Grade
Story -B
Art - C+

No comments:

Post a Comment