Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Child Thief




So I wanted to diversify my blogs a bit so I thought I would start doing some books from time to time. Here is my first one.

The Child Thief

By Brom
Harper Collins Publishing
2009
481 pages

Fantasy

I bought this a few years ago when it was first released(oooo, I got a first edition). I bought it strictly on the cover because I thought that it looked very cool. I have been into retelling of fairy tales since I read Wicked by Gregory MaGuire. This is a retelling of Peter Pan.

To start with, you may have heard of the author , Brom, before. He has written a few smaller illustrated novels, done illustrations for D&D, World of Warcraft, done some Batman, along with a lot of other stuff that I am skipping over. He was a also the inspiration for the character named Brom in the Inheritance Cycle books by Christopher Paolini.

This is not a Graphic novel by any stretch of the imagination, however, there are some awe-
inspiring illustrations drawn by the author of his visions of most of the main characters.

With the way that the book is written, you get such a clear vision of the nightmarish world that you are dropped into the middle of.

As I said earlier, this is a completely twisted tale of Peter Pan. At the end of the book, you will either love or hate Peter, or maybe a little bit of both.

All of the characters are very well defined and interesting.

Nothing about this book could be though of as 2 dimensional. Everything has several layers and everyone is a different shade of Grey.

I almost did feel like I was reading a comic the whole time because of his very quick rate that he paces everything, and the very clear yet surreal visuals that he plants in your mind

I have loaned out this book to 4 different people and they have all really enjoyed it, and I have suggested it to another 6 people that ended up buying it. You do need to have a bit of a twisted sense of humor to really enjoy this book, but I would gamble on buying it if I were you.



No comments:

Post a Comment