Friday, February 24, 2012

Music Review, Kirby Krackle and Adam Warrock






Last night I found myself at a concert at a little hole in the wall bar in Las Vegas.

Now, why am I doing a concert review on my little geek blog? Because it was featuring Comic Geek Rock God Kirby Krackle and ultra cool geek rapper Adam Warrock.

Adam Warrock was up first. I have heard absolutely nothing about him before, other than he was a geek rapper that talked about video games and Comic books. This kid put in a ton of energy into his presentation. He very quickly pulled the mostly punk(but all geek) into his performance. He was very personable throughout the show. He had every one in stitches with his very clever banter between songs. I would really like to see what his stage show will look like if he ever grabs some major attention and has the money to play with. His tracks were very professional and I could literally not complain about any of them, and coming from me, that is a huge compliment. I usually go right to hearing all of the negative because of my working in the studio, but his was great. I am not a rap fan, at all, but I am buying his albums. They are very fun to listen to and he really does keep the live energy in them...That is no easy feat. You really should check him out. His twitters are @AdamWarRock and @eugewarrock

The second act was the one that most people came to see. Kirby Krackle. I actually have 2 songs of his already in my itunes and he has done intro music to the Comic Geek Speak podcast.
What he gave us was not quite what I had expected. I was expecting a full band to reproduce his very full sound he records with. That was a minor disappointment to me, but I think that he did a very good job about making me overlook it. The first half of the show was him and his acoustic guitar doing the singer/songwriter vibe. These songs were a lot of fun. They were witty, well thought out and musically well put together. The second half of the show, he was using pre-made tracks, but he really did put 100% into his performance. He really seemed to enjoy what he was doing and that made the crowd enjoy themselves as well. I would totally go see him again. I do hope that he does bigger shows with a full band. He would really come off like a superstar. His Twitter is @kirbykrackle.

This show was completely packed out on a small room of about 50 people. Both of these performers gave us a show like they were playing for 1000 people. They both gained a lot of new fans and a lot of new respect, especially from me. Neither of them treated their subject material as a joke. They are really doing something right in the geek culture and I think they could bring it even more into the mainstream.

The show was promoted by Comic Oasis and was at Choices Bar

No comments:

Post a Comment