Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Comic Reviews for February 15, 2012





This weeks books were bought at Comic Oasis in Las Vegas.

Pick of the week goes out to Catwoman #6, and is closely followed by Ferals #2

I usually don't talk about Podcasts on my reviews, but check out the Incompetent Cabal Cast(@comiccabalcast on twitter) They shouted me out about 50 times last podcast and it made my day...and made me laugh so hard I peed a little. Check them out.. You will enjoy it







AVATAR PRESS


FERALS #2
Team
Writer - David Lapham
Artist - Gabriel Andrade
Colorist - Digikore Studios

I know, I am a week late on this title, but I forgot to grab it last week so my LCS(Comic Oasis) was kind enough to put one aside for me in my box for this week...

I am really liking this gory little book. It is different from anything else that I am reading.

This kind of reminds me of the old Howling movies from the 80's, without the smiley face stickers following everyone around.

And the transformation has begun. I am wondering what direction they will be taking this book.. Will the books protagonist keep his conscience? Or will his soul be forever lost? Tune in next time for more... Same were time, Same were channel.


Grade
Story - A
Art - A






DC COMICS




GREEN LANTERN COMICS #6
Team
Writer - Peter J. Tomasi
Artist - Fernando Pasarin
Colorist - Gabe Eltab

"FEARSOME"

Holy Shit. I now see why John Stewart is some peoples favorite Lantern. He can make the tough choices, as he has shown time and time again. To break the neck of his own teammate at a split second decision took huge amounts of balls.

This was a very good end of this story arc. Although I have not been in love with the whole story, I liked it and the way it wrapped up. In fact, I would say this was the best issue of this book since the reboot.

Grade
Story - B+
Art - A


CATWOMAN #6
Team
Writer - Judd Winick
Artist - Guillem March
Colorist - Tomeu Morey

"WELCOME TO THE HARD WAY"

I have been a huge fan of this book since the relaunch, and this is the best one yet.

We got to see all of the elements starting to finally come together. We see the good cop in the middle of all of the dirty cops helping Selena out, Reach makes a return and gets her ear bitten off(Mike Tyson anyone?), Batman makes a great appearance and really insightful between the two of them, and the character we met a few issues ago, Gwen Altamont, will be taking Lola's place as Selena's new fence and keeper of the secret of her identity.

Some very creative panel layouts this issue.


Grade
Story - A+
Art - A+


YOUNG JUSTICE #13
Team
Writer - Greg Weisman
Artist -Christopher Jones
Colorist - Zac Atkinson

"...AND THE PENALTY"

This is probably the weakest issue of the series so far. It is not horrible, but it does not give me the warm fuzzy feeling I usually get from this book.

I am finding Aqualad less and less appealing. And the Artemis payoff was very anti-climatic.

I am sure they will pull it out next month, especially considering the show restarts next month



Grade
Story - C+
Art - B+


DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT


VAMPIRELLA #14
Team
Writer - Eric Trautmann
Artist - Jose Malaga/Patrick Berkenkotter
Colorist - Steffani Rennee.

The art felt very Sketchy this time. Not a huge fan at all.

The story is coming together a lot more clearly now.

Kind of a typical Vampirella story......but that is, of course, why I keep coming back after all






Grade
Story - B
Art - C+


MARVEL COMICS


AMAZING SPIDERMAN 679.1
Team
Writer - Dan Slott/Chris Yost
Artist - Matthew Clark
Colorist - Rob Schwager

I think Spider-Man is now my favorite character in the Marvel universe. In theory, I really prefer Wolverine, Punisher, Venom...You know, the Bad-Asses, but every issue that I get my hands on, I seem to enjoy the Spidey titles more, hands down. It is a rather strange realization.. I didn't even think I liked him at all.

This is the scariest version of Michael Morbius that I have ever seen.

They look to be bringing back the Lizard, mostly because he will be the main bad guy in the upcoming Spider-Man movie


Grade
Story - A
Art - A


AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #4
Team
Writer - Zeb Wells
Artist - Greg Land
Colorist - Wil Quintana

Have I ever mentioned how completely useless the Marvel Digital App is? It is a complete work of shit. This will be the second Avenging Spider-Man book that has failed to download, and their assistance is worthless. I am glad I don't buy comics digitally on a regular basis. Beyond disappointing.

With that being said, as soon as I opened the book, I noticed that the art looks great.

Hawkeye is an ass. Green Arrow is better

I did really enjoy this issue. It is a one-shot, which I have stated before that I really do enjoy.

In the end, we do get to see what a stand up guy that Peter is.


Grade
Story - B
Art - A


VENOM #13.2
Team
Writer - Rob Williams
Artist - Sana Takeda

Art looks a lot better than the last issue.

Wow, I have no idea what they will do with this book. Ghost Rider is dead (please use this as the excuse to bring back Johnny Blaze) Red Hulk is dead.

I'm just kind of holding on for the ride. 3 more issues to go

Story isn't quite as exciting as last week




Grade
Story - B
Art - A

WINTER SOLDIER #2
Team
Writer - Ed Brubaker
Artist - Butch Guice
Colorist - Bettie Breitweiser


I want the America Hating Gorilla to do a lot more

There is a lot going on here. I will be going back to the first issue and slow down a little on this next time.

This is another one of those books, like Fatale, that will probably read a lot better in a collected form.

The art is absolutely beautiful


Grade
Story - B
Art - A+


WOLVERINE #301
Team
Writer - Jason Aaron
Artist - Billy Tan/Jason Keith/Steve Sanders

"BACK IN JAPAN Part 2"

So this book is taking a turn for the weird.

This book does not benefit from multiple artists, as most books would not.

Logan is still in Japan fighting against Samurai and Ninjas. He is trying to protect his daughter.

I do know that this book will be getting better. A lot of groundwork is getting laid down so I will be expecting a better payoff starting in the next issue. I am sure if I was a little more well versed in Wolverine history, I would be enjoying this a lot more.

I really enjoyed seeing Logan punch Sabertooth in the face, with his claws fully extended


Grade
Story - B
Art - C



DAREDEVIL #9
Team
Writer - Mark Waid
Artist - Paolo Rivera
Colorist - Javier Rodriguez

WTF is with the recent Marvel obsession with the Mole Man?

The Moloids are stealing coffins from the graveyards and shuttling them down into the earth. Matt's dad is in one of those coffins.

Necrophilia....its not just fun and games... ick

Black cat has turned on Matt and is, of course stealing from him. Gold digger


Grade
Story - B+
Art - A-

No comments:

Post a Comment