Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Comic Reviews for February 22, 2012



Book of the week will go to No Place Like Home #1 by Image. It is worth checking out




MARVEL COMICS

Deadpool #51
Team
Writer - Daniel Way
Artist - Ale Garza
Colorist - Dommo Sanchez Amara

"DEAD PART TWO"

While this was a good read and good story arc so far, this book was missing something, mostly just the fun feel I usually get after reading Deadpool.

We learn that the culprit that actually has the serum is Tombstone.

Is it wrong that I liked seeing Wolverine getting stabbed in the throat by Typhoid Mary?

There is still so much going on, and I do like that

I have no idea how many issues this arc will be, but it will take a while to get them all to that climax at the end. Lots of players involved.

I hope Hydra Bob dies at the end. He is really a bitch

Grade
Story - B
Art - A-



Venom #13.3
Team
Writer - Jeff Parker
Artist - Julian Tedesco
Colorist - Dommo Sanchez Amara

"CIRCLE OF FOUR Part 3"

I know that no one can stay dead in comics, but usually there is at least one issue between death and coming back....or so we are lead to believe. This is honestly the coolest take on hell that I have ever seen.

This is my favorite book of this arc. It was really easy to figure out where they were going with this, so I know there is really no spoiler that they are all dead and in hell.

I am looking forward to the next 2 issues as this wraps up. I think the whole AWOL thing will be going away once we get to issue 15.

Grade
Story - A
Art - B







DC COMICS

Green Lantern New Guardians #6
Team
Writer - Tony Bedard
Artist - Tyler Kirkham
Colorist - Batt

"RAGE OF ANGELS"

This issue is great. We are really starting to get to know the Rainbow Corps members. When you do read this on, take your time. There is a lot going on and subtleties if you pay attention.

The Archangel Invictus is a great character. Kind of belongs in the book Avengelyne from Image.

We get the return of Bleez at the end of the book.

I think that Invictus may possibly be the leader of the third army that we have been hearing about. He is powered by white light. Just a guess on my part.

This title just keeps getting better and better. All of the Lantern books keep upping the bar and I don't think I can even place them in a best to worst ranking anymore. Thank you DC.

Grade
Story - A
Art - A



Teen Titans #6
Team
Writer - Scott Lobdell
Artist - Brett Booth
Colorist - Andrew Dalhouse

"BY THE LIGHT.."

I may be alone on this, but I would love it if they put a quick who's who and all the team books in DC like they used to do. Especially considering that this book is a jumping on point. It would help with new readers I think.

Static Shock makes an appearance in this issue. With his book being cancelled, maybe we will get a future with him in the Teen Titans.

They really need to do something about Kid Flash's costume, He looks like Zorro. Oh, yeah, they do. Much better.

They are setting up to spend a lot of time making Kid Flash into a main focal point.

I love that Tim Drake is wearing a Green Lantern T Shirt.

I like this Villain Grymm. Glad to see the team moving on from Superboy and onto a real bad guy.

Grade
Story - A
Art - A




Aquaman #6
Team
Writer - Geoff Johns
Artist - Joe Prado
Colorist - Rod Reis

"DESERTED"

The opening scene in this book felt so far-fetched that it took me out of the book. The sleazy manager felt so contrived that it was a bit too much. However it was fun watching Mera kick ass.

This is a really quick read.

I do kind of like this book, my wife loves it so I shall continue to buy this one forever.

There is a lot of talk about finding out how Atlantis was sunk. It is supposed to be answered next issue.

Grade
Story - B
Art - B-



Justice League Dark #6
Team
Writer -Peter Milligan
Artist - Mikel Janin
Colorist - Ulises Arreola

"THE BLOODY REUNION"

I am still trying to figure out every ones individual powers. It can still be very convoluted with the Magic world. I keep with this book in spite of it because I really do enjoy the characters themselves.

So it looks like we will be having a crossover with I Vampire while we wait for Jeff Lemire to take over. I am really excited to see where he will take this title. It will be a good fit I think.

6 issues in and they are finally coming together as a team. That is a bit too long to stretch out in my opinion

Grade
Story - B+
Art - A+



Batman #6
Team
Writer - Scott Snyder
Artist - Greg Capullo
Colorist - FCO

"BENEATH THE GLASS"

The Court of Owls is the creepiest bad guys in the history of comics...maybe.

I am not complaining but it does feel like this arc will never end.

This book does deserve all of the praise that it has been getting.

This book does leave me speechless

Grade
Story - A+
Art - B



IMAGE COMICS


No Place Like Home #1
Team
Writer - Angelo Tirotto
Artist - Richard Jordan
Colorist - Paul Little

"HOME AGAIN"

There are a ton of similarities between this and the Wizard of Oz. I can't figure out if they are just drawing from the classic tale or if it will be a retelling of the story with a twist.

So far this is fun. This has that really good mix of a mystery, slasher and possibly supernatural. When done right, you can get an unforgettable story, if done wrong it would be a steaming pile of shit. So far, it seems like they are doing it right.

I am sticking with this one for a while and adding to my pull list, which list is another story.

Grade
Story - A+
Art - A




ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT


Alice In Wonderland #2
Team
Writer - Raven Gregory
Artist - Robert Gill
Colorist - Jason Embury

This book is beyond twisted. It is gory, sexy, mind-bending and fun all at the same time.

And with that being said, I am done with it. I have been cutting my pull list a lot and this is not a monthly comic. This should just be read as a collected novel. That seems to be the case with a lot of the Zenescope titles.

I will buy the Trade Paperback but I am done with the single issues


Grade
Story - B-
Art - A+

No comments:

Post a Comment