Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why I love comics




Why do I love comics?

Some People get into collecting because of the hope of having something that may collect some sort of monetary reward later down the road. I do simply for the fact that it is, for me, the worlds greatest escape on a weekly basis.

When I was a kid, I read a lot of different comics. Mostly GI Joe, Archie, Superman, Spiderman, Justice league, Green Lantern and any novelty comic i could find (anyone remember Spiderham?). I was not a collector by any means, I just enjoyed the stories. Then in Jr High,
I just lost interest. That may have been somewhat different if I had ever found a community with comics, but I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a comic store. The 90s didn't help either during the boom when people were no longer reading comics, just putting them in bags, locking them away and hoping they would make a million dollars off of them.

Yadda yadda yadda, Lots of time passed. I would pick up a book here and there but had nothing I got really excited about( except maybe my signed Clerks comic ) until I started to see some mainstream news about the Blackest Night event that DC was doing with a bunch of different colored Green Lantern rings. It piqued my interest and started picking them up. I found out a
bout Graphic Novels and found my new obsession. I could get an entire story and completely lose myself. I collected the entire Blackest Night Series in hardback the day they came out. I discovered the more adult and deeper titles from Vertigo and started to burn through Preacher, Fables and the ever brilliant Sandman run by Neil Gaiman.

I have a very eclectic collection that gets read, and read often. Yes, it most likely will destroy the books and I wont sell them for a million dollars, but I wouldn't trade it. They are a
little bit of light and sparks my imagination in my adult world that I live in.

So Why do I collect? For the love of the story. For me, It's not about what my comics are worth, it is about what they are worth to me

No comments:

Post a Comment