Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August 24 Reviews







This Weeks Reading Review August 24 2011










Green Lantern Emerald Warriors #13. This issue is the Final issue of Emerald Warriors. It was a Guy Gardner/Batman Team-up. Nothing really groundbreaking and a stand alone issue. It was fun. Guy Gardner played his usual Jackass type role that he always seems to sit in so comfortably. Batman was...well...Batman. He was in his role as detective and generally being annoyed with everyone around him. It was a fun book and an easy read. I don't know if it was a fitting end to this title but it wasn't bad either.

Grade is a C+
Team Tomasi,Frenz,Dell,Deering






Young Justice #7..Targeted by Artemis. This issue would make sense if you had not seen the show. The show would make sense if you don't read the book. What they seem to do is produce the perfect compliment to bridge 2 different mediums of TV and Books. The industry would do well to take some notes in how they are doing this run.
I have to be honest, I have really never heard of Artemis other than the Cartoon Network show, but this gave me enough of her origin to be interested and keep me in the story. This is an all ages title BTW
Grade is a B+
Team Weisman, Hopps, Jones, Davis





Batman The Dark Knight #5 This was a dark issue. Lots of the supernatural. It ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, which i can't understand considering this is the last issue with the reboots coming up next week. This issue featured a lot of the demon Etrigan. I honestly don't really enjoy the character because of the whole rhyming obsession he has, however he didn't annoy me to the point that I couldn't enjoy the story. It sorta wrapped up the story arc, I do wonder where it would have went with a few more issues.
Grade B-
Team Finch, Fabok


Batman Incorporated #8
Have you ever read a comic that the art was so mind-blowing that you cant really pay attention to the story at all? Yeah, I hadn't either till this book. It was like Batman and Oracle (batgirl) basically sucked into an Internet world that I could compare to Tron. I actually had to give it a second read to actually catch the story. A really good book


Grade. Art A++ Story B-
Team Morrison, Clark, Beatty


Flashpoint Hal Jordan #3 of 3 This issue reminded me why Hal Jordan is my favorite Green Lantern. Even without the ring, he was truly heroic and is an example of who we need to be at different times in our lives. When reading in the last Flashpoint main title, it is spoiled that Hal actually ends up dying. I went through the issue hoping there was some twist that maybe the ring chose him at the last moment or something, but no such luck. The final page literally sent chills down my back. It was fantastic.

Grade A-
Team Schlagman, Richards


Flashpoint Project Superman #3of 3. I am really kind of enjoying this incarnation of Kal-El. I like seeing the unstoppable Superman being a lot more fragile. I will give one quick piece of advice, if you are reading all the mini's, read Lois Lane and the Resistance before this title. It is a good read and like all of the Flashpoint series so far, this final book is the best. Very satisfying end. A great payoff

Grade B+
Team Snyder, Francis, Ha




Flashpoint Lois Lane and the Resistance #3 of 3.
I really have not been too into this title but I am a bit of a freak when it comes to finishing off a series, especially when it comes to a mini or an event like Flashpoint. Had a very strong finish and I absolutely love the character Brittania. Just a Bad ass.

Grade B-
Team Abnett, Lanning, Duce, Wong






Flashpoint Kid Flash Lost #3 of 3

OMG OMG OMG So good!


Grade A

Team Gates, Nome, Kolins, Scott







Xombi #6
This Fantastic little nightmare of a comic is being cancelled and no reboot is scheduled for it. I love this really rather twisted tale this title has spun. I really like this whole series and feel that DC is definitely missing the boat on it. Maybe if we are all lucky, and we pray to Geoff Johns, we can hope that Vertigo picks it up. In my world, I would love to see what Neil Gaiman could do with it.

Grade is A-
Team Rozum, Irving

Lantern Movie Prequel Sinestro 1 shot. This was a good issue with the origin of when Sinestro got his ring. I don't understand why they waited so long on this issue. It should have come out before or during the movie release. Not a really smart move on the DC marketing Dept.

Grade C+
Team Johns, Tolibao, Richards, Ordway










Wolverine #14
Wow, Still a lot of questions from this story arc but so intriguing. Again this title should be avoid by kids, it will give them nightmares if they can grasp it

Grade B+

Team Aaron, Guedes, Magalhaes, Wilson



Wolverine the Best there is #9
This was at best OK. Almost no action till the end...I didn't like the way that Logan was drawn, almost unrecognizable. Did I mention there was a space shark? Only giving this one or two more issues to improve till I drop this title

Grade D+

Huston, Ryp, Mossa






Icon Publishing

Kick-Ass 2 #3 Here is the deal, I started picking up this title about a year ago and we are only on #3. What is wrong with this picture? (i look at the writer to see if it is Kevin Smith....Nope. There goes that excuse) It is so hard to complain win this comic is so damn good. It is almost infuriating because I want to hate it for them making me wait so long, but I cant. I love the art, I love the story.



Grade A+
Team Millar, Romita

No comments:

Post a Comment